No new Dixon Trad design

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

No new Dixon Trad design

Post by MichaelRS »

Okay, just this morning I received an email from Yasmin Dixon of Tony Dixon Music. I have been inquiring if there had been a design change to the Trad in the last many several years. Particularly since the Podraig MacNeela refers to it as the "improved" Trad in his YouTube video (see link below) and several people on this form saying that if there has been.

Her response to me was that there has been NO design change. She capitalized NO also.

So, beyond that, I really don't know what to tell people who think the Trad has changed in the last few years.

https://youtu.be/0GUl_gBRWCk

And this is the C&F thread that prompted me to email Dixon music on the subject, which anybody else could have done three years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101779&p=1210674#p1210674
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Re: No new Dixon Trad design

Post by MichaelRS »

Okay, follow the link to the thread that started this and the guy posted some new evidence the pictures where he may be right.

I kind of thought they didn't read my email very carefully at Dixon. Because the woman that responded that I should check out a site called chiff and fipple :-?. for evaluations of the Trad from other people.

But I had linked the thread that started all this to the email and drew her attention to it in the body of the email so she knew I was already on the cliff and fipple site. Or she would have known if she read my letter even halfway carefully. It really was not long or complex.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

As impossible as it seems, I have encountered times when a maker has changed some aspect of their design without being aware of it.

I'm not saying that Tony Dixon is like that! I don't know about this Dixon whistle issue.

But imagine mentioning to a whistle maker that his new instruments have a shorter windway or a longer blade or something and him saying "do they now? You know I've never measured that sort of thing." (It's a made-up example but I've encountered things like that with makers of several different types of instruments.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

pancelticpiper wrote:As impossible as it seems, I have encountered times when a maker has changed some aspect of their design without being aware of it.

I'm not saying that Tony Dixon is like that! I don't know about this Dixon whistle issue.

But imagine mentioning to a whistle maker that his new instruments have a shorter windway or a longer blade or something and him saying "do they now? You know I've never measured that sort of thing." (It's a made-up example but I've encountered things like that with makers of several different types of instruments.)
But that kind of flies in the face of their promotional statement that all instruments are hand finished... Which I assume should also mean hand inspected and somebody would notice something like that.

Although another inquiry that I sent them was asking them what they meant by that all hand-finished.

Because I find it incredulous to believe that just on their line of basic High D whistles, the DX001, that somebody is going over all the many, God knows how many, they make a day and inspecting and finish them off.
PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

MichaelRS wrote:Particularly since the Podraig MacNeela refers to it as the "improved" Trad in his YouTube video (see link below) and several people on this form saying that if there has been.

https://youtu.be/0GUl_gBRWCk
Sounds to me like McNeela says "Which is probably called an improved whistle." He doesn't say it's an improved version of the Trad. He just means its design is an improvement over the "standard" Generation/Faedog/Waltons/Oaks/etc. At least that's how I understand it...