Generations Bb - brass or nickel.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Generations Bb - brass or nickel.

Post by MichaelRS »

Well that's pretty self-explanatory. Most of what I researched so far says that the generations Bb are still "okay" whistles with a little more consistency to them then their high Ds. So mostly what I want to know is brass or nickel and why?

Also, if you have a different opinion regarding their quality, let me know. And if you have another recommendation, from the inexpensive manufacturers, that I should consider, let me know that too.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Generations Bb - brass or nickel.

Post by jiminos »

I have a Pre-80's brass and a newer nickel. I prefer the brass. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the nickel, and I play it on occasion. Just prefer the brass.

I have a Susato Kildare Bb small bore. Love it. Not too loud. Great intonation. Not chiffy. Pleasant to listen to in the second octave. Not a lot of air required. Very easy octave transitions.

I have a Parks Bb walkabout. Love it. Recent acquisition. Still getting used to it.

Of the four, when I reach for a Bb, it is the brass Gen.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

jiminos wrote:I have a Pre-80's brass and a newer nickel. I prefer the brass. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the nickel, and I play it on occasion. Just prefer the brass.

I have a Susato Kildare Bb small bore. Love it. Not too loud. Great intonation. Not chiffy. Pleasant to listen to in the second octave. Not a lot of air required. Very easy octave transitions.

I have a Parks Bb walkabout. Love it. Recent acquisition. Still getting used to it.

Of the four, when I reach for a Bb, it is the brass Gen.
Thanks, as usual your experience and insight is appreciated. On the Susato website I see they offer only one B-flat under their Kildares, the M series. Is that the one you mean when you say small bore?

I'm still working on working toward rounding out my high D stable with a Killarney, so I'm going to forego spending any real money on, what is for me at this stage, ancillary whistles. That's why I'm looking at the inexpensive guys for now. And that comes to less than half the price for even the Susato Orioles ordering a C whistle and an extra B-flat body. Though I think I would really like those. I know a $30 difference doesn't sound like much, but it is when you're on a fixed retirement income.

So I'm ordering a Walton's C , just to have a C, and the Generations B-flat for the reasons of relative quality stated. Or at least that's what I think I'm doing. But somebody may say something here that will totally change my mind.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MichaelRS wrote:Well that's pretty self-explanatory. Most of what I researched so far says that the generations Bb are still "okay" whistles with a little more consistency to them then their high Ds. So mostly what I want to know is brass or nickel and why?
Of the Generations Bb I only have the brass, and see no need to try a nickel. The nickel is a nickel coated brass tube so?
The debate if a nickel plated brass tube is brighter than a brass tube continues? :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

No, Michael, my Susato Bb is NOT a medium bore. It is a small bore. Same as my C and D. I bought the three of them as a set when Susato still offered a small bore Bb.

I recently corresponded with George at Susato. I asked why he no longer offered the Bb in small bore. His answer very succinct. "It wasn't loud enough." Personally, I love the volume level. I have not yet tried the medium bore. Don't really see a need. I have four really good Bb whistles that satisfy my wants, needs and desires.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Well, so far it looks like I'm going to have to go back on the Hobgoblin Music USA website and change that generation nickel to brass. No use spending the extra for the nickel, if there's no big difference.

I didn't do an actual count, but I think most of the people I saw playing them on YouTube we're using the nickel. I guess they just got him because they like dthe way it looked, which is probably why Generations offer it as well, but just in case I was wondering if there was any real difference.
Tor

Post by Tor »

The problem with nickel is that it feels slippery for some, or even many, people. I never had that problem (it depends on the skin I guess), so I always go for the nickel variants. I'm not so fond of brass patina and smell.

As for sound, I'm solidly in the camp that says it makes no difference. Any difference would be in tiny differences in the head, in other words the differences between individual whistles can go both ways.
I have Generations in both brass and nickel (and a few Freemans), and I've also tried Dixon Trad D in both nickel and brass. The difference is minuscule, and not more than between my two nickel Trads.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have both Bb Gens, & I too, tend to pick up the brass one out of choice - & no, I don't hear any difference between them.
(Nickel was supposed to be slightly more mellow.)

My present favourite key is 'A' - a Tony Dixon Trad Brass - & I have an aluminium 'A' on its way to me, which should be a little mellower.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tor

Post by Tor »

But why should it be mellower? Not due to the aluminium, for sure. Different design, different head?