D, High D and Low D ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
yankees1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just bought a Milligan D whistle. I am new to tin whistles and will need help ! I don't understand why each whistle is in a different key and how a D whistle can play a song in G major ! Which whistle will play a song in A major ? Most songs i will play will be in D, G or A

D, High D and Low D ?

Post by yankees1 »

What is the difference between these three whistles ?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: D, High D and Low D ?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Plain 'D' could refer to either of the others, although more usually High D. High D and Low D both have a bell note (lowest pitch, all holes covered) of D, but Low D sounds as written (in flute range) with a bell note of D4 (c.294 Hz), and High D an octave higher (in piccolo or soprano recorder range) with a bell note of D5 (c.588 Hz). So Low D is also longer and fatter than High D, with a bigger finger stretch and air requirement.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: D, High D and Low D ?

Post by pancelticpiper »

What Peter said.

When people speak of "a whistle" or "a D whistle" it's usually inferred that they're talking about the traditional smaller whistle. Until Low Whistles were invented (in the 1970s) there was no other size of D whistle.

But Low Whistles came along and everybody suddenly had two sizes of D whistle to keep track of.

It didn't end there! Because a couple keys, G for example, were now made in THREE different sizes. What to do?

Since many people had been calling the middle size the "Low G" the biggest size was dubbed the "Bass G".

But others called the biggest size the "Low G" and the term "Mezzo G" was coined for the middle size.

Since the term "Low" is thus unclear, I tend to use "Bass" for the biggest size and "Mezzo" for the middle size, at least for keys that are made in three different octaves.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle