Dixon Trad; Brass or Nickel?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Dixon Trad; Brass or Nickel?

Post by MichaelRS »

I'm not EXACTLY new to whistling. I first got into it back in 2005, when I joined this forum, did it for a couple years and then kind of dropped out.
As for my skill level it depends on how you define that sort of thing. I'm pretty good at the slow stuff like The Minstrel Boy; the Skye Boat song; Loch Lomond and so forth. I would actually describe my musical abilities more like that of a technician rather than an artist.
So that is why I ask basic questions like this. To get the opinion of people who have had more practical experience in any given area.

That and I know if I have the question there's probably a dozen or more people out there that have the same question and are just too shy to ask it for fear of sounding dumb.
And lastly because any recent material on the subject is scant or dated by several years. So a fresh take is always appreciated.

Anyway I have pretty much settled on acquiring a Dixon Trad as my next whistle and, as the title says, I would like to know what anyone who has had experience with either or both thinks of the brass and/or the nickel? Why would you recommend it or why would you recommend one or the other?

I know they have an overall good reputation (except for one guy on this forum that said he tried the Trad D and put it down and never look back cuz it sucked. That's paraphrase, but that was the tone of his post) that's why it's going to be my next whistle. I'm just trying to be less willy-nilly about my acquisitions than I was before so that's why I'm looking for your help in deciding on which one.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Dixon Trad; Brass or Nickel?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That's paraphrase, but that was the tone of his post
'A whistle you can play but after a while no longer want to' is perhaps the better summary of the posts in question.
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have two Trad Brass whistles, in G & A, (they were my step up whistles, from Generations, Feadog, Walton, & a Dixon one piece ABS).

I first bought the brass because I liked the feel & tone, from playing my other whistles, & I got a 'G' because I thought that would be an easier player than a low D, (as a newbie), but then I came across my pre used 'A', & am liking it better, size wise.

To me, they have a very nice tone, & seem to be fairly easy to play in the second octave.

I also quite liked the mellower tone of my aluminium Waltons (& ABS Dixon), so ordered a Dixon aluminium tunable, in 'A', to try out.
(I'm pretty sure that I won't be disappointed when it arrives.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Between the Trad D brass and nickel, I prefer the nickel’s voice and appearance.
I once bought spare heads from Dixon. They come in pairs. Mated with my Trad nickel, each head played slightly different. All played well, however. Between the Trad (nickel and brass) and the alloy tunable, I prefer the Trad.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Trad brass or Trad nickel. Tough choice. For me, it depends on the tune being played. For slower tunes, I prefer the nickel. For more up-tempo tunes, I prefer the brass. To my ear, the nickel has a smoother, fuller tone. The brass is a bit brasher. (Almost said "brassier.")

To be safe, I think you should get both. Long live WHOAD.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Ive read in some reviews that the Trads seems to have a rather noticeable chiff.
Is that so?
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

It doesn't seem so to me.

Here is a link to one of our members playing a nickel trad

https://youtu.be/OyOPrZBxFds

And here is a link to a sample of the brass.

https://youtu.be/lGO1ORo73bo

Neither seems overly chiffy to me.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

jiminos wrote:It doesn't seem so to me.

Here is a link to one of our members playing a nickel trad

https://youtu.be/OyOPrZBxFds

And here is a link to a sample of the brass.

https://youtu.be/lGO1ORo73bo

Neither seems overly chiffy to me.
Thanks Jiminos, I've seen the one with the guy in the green playing it, but I had not seen the other one.
I just wonder if they've made any modifications to it or changed the production process and the last 10 years or so that's changed how it sounds.

And I mostly do the slow stuff. So maybe the nickel would be something for me to lean toward.

I know, just get both, right? That's what I'm trying NOT to do this time 'round. LOL
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

I don't think the design has changed. It's a great whistle and has been from the gate.

Go for the nickel. You won't be disappointed.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think the design has changed. It's a great whistle and has been from the gate.
I was an early user, got one as soon as they came on the market. Eventually sold it to someone on the forum who strongly felt the earlier ones were quite different and more to his liking. For discussion see here
My brain hurts

jiminos

Post by jiminos »

I stand corrected and defer to Mr. G.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It wasn't really a correction, or even my opinion. I just noted at least someone thought they had changed.

I would add they are perhaps not as consistent from one example to the next. When I bought mine I tried five before I found one that made me think I should perhaps buy it to give it a further whirl.
My brain hurts

MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I was an early user, got one as soon as they came on the market. Eventually sold it to someone on the forum who strongly felt the earlier ones were quite different and more to his liking. For discussion see here
Thanks for the link, that is interesting. Particularly one of the things I was wondering about when I find information or videos on them that is 8 or 10 years old and why I brought the subject up now.

And if anybody is wondering, yes, I know it's not like agonizing over the purchase of a $240 + Burke penny whistle.
But I'm asking to not only to help others out, but also trying to avoid, as much as is reasonable, having anything in my collection I'm going to end up totally disliking, as I did before, while also not ending up with some 13 odd whistles.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

[/quote]Sorry to introduce something else into consideration but I'd say the poly D was better than both!

https://youtu.be/t13abzDrrv0[/quote]

Thank you very much but I do indeed have the poly D DX001. I did a review on it here somewhere. and I do like it well enough
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Did I mention how fond I was of the Dixon tunable polymer? DX005 :party:
So, amongst the brass, nickel, alloy, and polymer high D, I like the polymer best.