Dixon Trad; Brass or Nickel?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Re: Dixon Trad; Brass or Nickel?

Post by MichaelRS »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:Did I mention how fond I was of the Dixon tunable polymer? DX005 :party:
So, amongst the brass, nickel, alloy, and polymer high D, I like the polymer best.
Do you happen to have another Dixon polymer to compare it to like a 001 or the 004?

I have the 001 and did a review of it here. I really like the sound quality, just not the feel due to It's very lite build. It's a barrel is only about 1 mm thick. But that's not really a big deal breaker for me, since it sounds nice. It just feels very toy-like. And I imagine these 004 would be built very close to the 001, only the tunable version.

So if I were to pay twice as much for the 005 that you are recommending, Id kind of like to know that it's a little bit of a "beefier" instrument build-wise. Hopefully something closer to a 2 mm barrel thickness

And if anybody cares, I have an email into Dixon music, which anybody else could have done before now, regarding if there were indeed any particular changes to the Trad, in particular its fipple, in the last few years.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I can only speak for the 005 because that is the only Dixon polymer I own. It is thin and light, but it plays beautifully, albeit not different from the earlier models. I think I paid more for a better tuning slide and brass bits. Aesthetically, I prefer the 005. The light weight and feel do not bother me because my polymer Nightingale felt the same. In fact, the 005 tube seems to feel about the same as the Susato Oriole. I read on this forum a while back that Burke composite was super light as well. Also, my top high D is a Burke brass NB which is hefty so the contrast with the 005 is pleasant in favor of the Dixon. So ultimately,I enjoy the sound and construction of the 005.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:I can only speak for the 005 because that is the only Dixon polymer I own. It is thin and light, but it plays beautifully, albeit not different from the earlier models. I think I paid more for a better tuning slide and brass bits. Aesthetically, I prefer the 005. The light weight and feel do not bother me because my polymer Nightingale felt the same. In fact, the 005 tube seems to feel about the same as the Susato Oriole. I read on this forum a while back that Burke composite was super light as well. Also, my top high D is a Burke brass NB which is hefty so the contrast with the 005 is pleasant in favor of the Dixon. So ultimately,I enjoy the sound and construction of the 005.
Yeah, I have the old, now long since discontinued, Susato Dublin High D. The Dxion DX001 has a thinner barrel, probably by about .75 mm, although I just eyeballed it and used tape measure for both of them no calipers, and the Susato just feels "heavier", or rather more sturdy.

When I do plan to get is a Chris Wall, and then that will be my third "plastic" one. So I might hold it there for those.
I may get a Freeman Mellow Dog and, if I can ever get the debate about the Dixon Trad settled, one of those.
Then I'm going to call it a day for a bit until I save up my for a Killarney. And that will definitely be it for a bit.
Or who knows. Maybe I'll just say screw the rest and go for a Killarney, because I haven't heard ANY9NE say anything bad about those.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

MichaelRS wrote:
Tyler DelGregg wrote:I can only speak for the 005 because that is the only Dixon polymer I own. It is thin and light, but it plays beautifully, albeit not different from the earlier models. I think I paid more for a better tuning slide and brass bits. Aesthetically, I prefer the 005. The light weight and feel do not bother me because my polymer Nightingale felt the same. In fact, the 005 tube seems to feel about the same as the Susato Oriole. I read on this forum a while back that Burke composite was super light as well. Also, my top high D is a Burke brass NB which is hefty so the contrast with the 005 is pleasant in favor of the Dixon. So ultimately,I enjoy the sound and construction of the 005.
Yeah, I have the old, now long since discontinued, Susato Dublin High D. The Dxion DX001 has a thinner barrel, probably by about .75 mm, although I just eyeballed it and used tape measure for both of them no calipers, and the Susato just feels "heavier", or rather more sturdy.

When I do plan to get is a Chris Wall, and then that will be my third "plastic" one. So I might hold it there for those.

I may get a Freeman Mellow Dog and, if I can ever get the debate about the Dixon Trad settled, one of those.
Then I'm going to call it a day for a bit until I save up my for a Killarney. And that will definitely be it for a bit.
Or who knows. Maybe I'll just say screw the rest and go for a Killarney, because I haven't heard ANY9NE say anything bad about those.
I am in the minority regarding the Killarney. It is a fine whistle, and I enjoy listening to others playing it, but when I play it, it sounds like the RPM is too high, similar to driving a revved up four cilinder. I much prefer the Dixon and Mellow Dog.