What is this Dixon whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

What is this Dixon whistle?

Post by MichaelRS »

Okay, so, on Dixon website they offer their Dixon Trad in brass for about £18. Then they offer their DX006 in heavy brass for £66.

But now the guy in the video linked below is calling something the Dixon IMPROVED Trad with a nomenclature identification of DXTRAD, which he is offering for £35. And no such animal, per se, is on the Dixon site.

Now I get that he's a retailer, but 95% seems a bit of a markup to me if that is actually just the £18 Dixon Trad he's talking about.
Anyone know for sure?

https://youtu.be/0GUl_gBRWCk
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: What is this Dixon whistle?

Post by fatmac »

I remember watching that video, or one similar by that guy, £18 gets you a Trad D, £33 gets you a Trad A, £66 is in the area of a tunable whistle with slide.

(I've just ordered an aluminium tunable in that price range)

Take a look here - https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/shop/
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

fatmac wrote:I remember watching that video, or one similar by that guy, £18 gets you a Trad D, £33 gets you a Trad A, £66 is in the area of a tunable whistle with slide.

(I've just ordered an aluminium tunable in that price range)

Take a look here - https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/shop/
Thank you, but I saw that, and I still don't get it. I don't seeon the Dixon site a tunable brass whistle in the key of D, which that guy in the video is advertising on his site for about £30..

I sent an email to his shop a few days ago and to Dixon via their website and nobody has responded yet. So that's why I'm asking here.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

It looks to be a regular Dixon Trad. If you listen carefully to what he says, he seems to be saying that it is improved "over the older whistles that you would get for school." I think he's saying it is improved over such as the Feadog or Gen whistles. Sales pitch, maybe?

Anyway, it looks and sounds like a Dixon Trad. Thin wall, brass, tunable.

If memory serves, Dixon also makes a thick wall high D. DX006 and DX206, I believe.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Okay, I found it on the Hobgoblin Music USA site.
(Where I got my DX001 from)

I think Dixon needs to update their own web page. Because the prior Trad, that they are advertising for £18, is not tunable. At least they don't say it is, which I'm sure is a pertinent selling point if it was.
And this improved tunable Trad is not on their website.
If you're going to give something an identifying model number and tout a feature, such as it being tunable, then both of those should be on the website under the pictured instrument.

http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sale ... tle-brass/
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

I have two Dixon Trads. Both purchased around 15 years ago. Both tunable. To the best of my knowledge, the Trad has always been tunable... And hasn't changed in design.

I haven't heard that Dixon has come out with an "improved" model.

I was just at their website. Has a 2018 date on it.

I'm sticking with my original thought. McNeela is calling it improved as compared to Feadog or Gen. Not something "improved" by Dixon.

.02¢
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

Just found "The Trad" on Dixon website for £18.25. It is thin wall brass and tunable. No improved model is listed.

There is, however, a thick wall high D for £66.50. Also tunable.

At one time, a while ago, it was listed on Tony's site as DXTRAD. It now appears its identifier is "The Trad." Name may have changed, but it looks to the same as the Trads I have.

No idea why McNeela is calling it "improved."
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.