Review: Dixon High D base model DX001

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Review: Dixon High D base model DX001

Post by MichaelRS »

The DX001 is Dixon's one piece, non-tunable starter model that I find comparable in sound and playability to my old Susato Dublin high D ( long since discontinued by Susato for reasons unknown to me. I think they should at least have kept the high D version of the Dublin series).

The tone is nice with perhaps a very slight vibration to it, but not really all that noticeable, It plays easily from one octave to the next and, like most whistle its size, you need more breath control than you do actual breath

That being said there's ONE thing I did not like about it. Even keeping in mind the saying, "It is what it is", physically It just seems too light and flimsy be taken seriously as an actual instrument, even as a starter, over a child's toy.

Granted I used a tape measure instead of a caliper, but the barrel is only about 1 mm thick (which may be great for metal but I think plastic needs a little bit more) whereas my Dublin is nearly, if not fully, 2 millimeters. And I'm left with the impression that it's that lack of thickness that accounts for the SLIGHT vibration affect one gets while playing it. Plus the added weight would take away from the impression that it's going to float out of your hand at any moment.
Dixon does put a small white ferrule on the end to alleviate the visual effect of the barrel being simply an oversized drinking straw, but obviously that has no other practical application relating to sound quality or playability.

But basically I do like the sound and its playability for a whistle of its class. It's just it being so light takes a little getting used to. You can pinch down on the barrel and it does NOT feel like it's going to collapse, but you're not left with any great assurance that won't either.

So to Dixon I would say,
Take a lesson from the old Susato Dublin and thicken up the DX001 a little bit by increasing the outer dimension. I think the increased weight and size would feel a lot better in people's hands Also, finish off the end of the barrel slightly rounded as Susato did. That way you can dump that ferrule. If you had to add an extra 50 pence to the price for all that, it would be worth it

If you're thinking about getting it I would say;
GO FOR IT.
I think it's a very good starter whistle or just a nice little one to add to your collection or give as a gift. Obviously "It is what it is", but as far as I'm concerned the pros (of how it sounds) far outweigh the cons (of how it feels).
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Review: Dixon High D base model DX001

Post by fatmac »

I like mine, except for that white ferrule, makes it look odd to me, but a good starter for sure - & possibly good for/in the cold weather. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Re: Review: Dixon High D base model DX001

Post by MichaelRS »

one chap removed the white ferrule and replaced it with a polished brass olive
That sounds like a good idea to pretty it up a little.
But the darn thing is so light I'm afraid if I did that it would be bottom-"heavy" and want to tip out of my fingers. LOL
Maybe I'll just slap some gold model paint on it and see what that looks like :D