Chiff and Fipple Forums
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/

O'Briain Eb
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107672
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Polara Pat [ Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  O'Briain Eb

I've been really enjoying the whistle comparison threads lately and have decided to treat myself to an improved D. I contacted Cillian and he informed me that they also make a Eb. I have never tried this key but am possible keen to give it a go. Any personal experience playing this whistle for ITM would be appreciated.

Author:  Polara Pat [ Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

I was planning on waiting to hit 100 views without a comment as my social experiment but it looks like I'll have to break it to ask a follow up question. (That I hopefully won't have to answer) Does anyone have any recommendations besides Cillian O'Briain for an Eb since it doesn't seem that anyone has tried his?

Author:  fatmac [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

Sorry you're not getting any responses - so I'll just say, as a beginner - I don't have this particular whistle, or play sessions, but I do have Generation Eb whistles in brass & nickel, & they are quite a nice whistle, not far off from the D - but I would imagine you would have to change your style to play one in a session, as they seem to concentrate on the key of D. Probably not very helpful to you, but all that I can offer. :)

Author:  Jan-Michel [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

Hey, i had to refresh my password to post here, but i already followed the other thread about the O'Briain D whistle.

So here are my experiences with those, especially the Eb:
normally i tend to like whistles with a good amount of backpressure, a strong first octave and i like it if i can lean a bit into the whistle on every note. Both of my "main" high D's (Goldie and Swayne) share some of these points but aren't perfect so i was searching for a high D which fits me perfectly.

For that reason i ordered myself an O'Briain D and Eb and both don't need much air have a small amount of backpressure but for that reason they play themselfs so easily and are a joy to play.

The Eb has an absolutely sweet sound and is so well balanced over the octaves, while not getting shrill on the highest notes.
A big difference between my O'Briain D and Eb is that the D is overblowing much easier, causing some squeaky noises in the lower octave - could be because i am used to some stronger whistles, but for some reason the Eb doesn't show this effect. (maybe there's a connection to the tweaking of both whistles - O'Briain changed the diameter of the tube in the upper body of the Eb whistle - he doesn't do that with the D)

The Eb is now one of my favorite whistles, because of the combination of all those things, i can play that whistle without a lot of effort all evening long, and i think i am aswell searching for an other sound in an Eb than in a D-Whistle.
I would definitely give it a try!

Author:  saintninian [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

Parks makes a very nice Eb whistle - well, made, as the website says he is not accepting any new orders at the moment. But Parks whistles seem to appear fairly regularly in the secondary market, so if you check Ebay or post in the used instruments forum here on C&F you might be able to pick one up in a short time.

Author:  Polara Pat [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

fatmac wrote:
Sorry you're not getting any responses - so I'll just say, as a beginner - I don't have this particular whistle, or play sessions, but I do have Generation Eb whistles in brass & nickel, & they are quite a nice whistle, not far off from the D - but I would imagine you would have to change your style to play one in a session, as they seem to concentrate on the key of D. Probably not very helpful to you, but all that I can offer. :)


Haha, I forgot to use my sarcasm emoji about not getting any hits. I appreciate your input as a fellow novice. I think that my playing would probably appreciate a Eb in the arsenal.

Author:  ceilidhdog [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

I have a Jerry Freeman Blackbird in Eb and like it a lot. Fun to play and sounds great (to my ear).

Author:  fatmac [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

Polara Pat wrote:
Haha, I forgot to use my sarcasm emoji about not getting any hits. I appreciate your input as a fellow novice. I think that my playing would probably appreciate a Eb in the arsenal.

It's taking me a while to really find 'my' whistle, so I know they are all tempting to try. :D

I started out by getting all the Generations, in all the keys, both brass & nickel, that gave me an insight to what I might like, so I bought a Dixon Trad brass in G, then I came across a pre used one in A, & I think I like that size better, so have an aluminium tunable heading my way shortly.

Author:  Polara Pat [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

fatmac wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:
Haha, I forgot to use my sarcasm emoji about not getting any hits. I appreciate your input as a fellow novice. I think that my playing would probably appreciate a Eb in the arsenal.

It's taking me a while to really find 'my' whistle, so I know they are all tempting to try. :D

I started out by getting all the Generations, in all the keys, both brass & nickel, that gave me an insight to what I might like, so I bought a Dixon Trad brass in G, then I came across a pre used one in A, & I think I like that size better, so have an aluminium tunable heading my way shortly.


I actually have a pretty good stack of whistles at this stage and try to play them all. My all time favourite is a top secret design by JF that he has asked me not to discuss yet. Also love my alto A from him. I'm always just up for something a bit different. Unlike a lot of folks, I'm not hunting for the perfect whistle. Mostly because I don't think it exists. At least not for me.

Author:  fatmac [ Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

My perfect whistle?

The one that makes me sound good....... :wink:

Author:  Polara Pat [ Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

I wonder why he only tweaked D and Eb? D and C seem like obvious choices to me but I hadn't even thought about picking up an Eb until now. I think I'll give it a go. The sound clips on youtube of Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Cathal McConnell playing his Eb sound wicked.

Author:  MichaelRS [ Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

Jan-Michel wrote:
Hey, i had to refresh my password to post here, but i already followed the other thread about the O'Briain D whistle


Can you please tell me where is this O'Briain D thread of which you speak? I would like to see what others have to say about it

Author:  Jan-Michel [ Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

I think i was referring to the following post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107625&hilit=o%27briain

Author:  Polara Pat [ Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

Just got my D and Eb O'Briain whistles and they are great!! I can't get enough of this Eb it really sings and my Ds sound deep by comparison when I go back to them after playing for a bit. I find that i can play faster and clearer as well. It is a bit easy to over blow but that's just because I'm used to a bigger push. I'll get that sorted in no time. I'm tempted to blow off our NYs midnight cross country ski so I can session it more. Or...take it with me!! My poor friends. Hah

Author:  MichaelRS [ Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: O'Briain Eb

Polara Pat wrote:
Just got my D and Eb O'Briain whistles and they are great!! I can't get enough of this Eb it really sings and my Ds sound deep by comparison when I go back to them after playing for a bit. I find that i can play faster and clearer as well. It is a bit easy to over blow but that's just because I'm used to a bigger push. I'll get that sorted in no time. I'm tempted to blow off our NYs midnight cross country ski so I can session it more. Or...take it with me!! My poor friends. Hah


:thumbsup:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/