O'Briain Eb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

O'Briain Eb

Post by Polara Pat »

I've been really enjoying the whistle comparison threads lately and have decided to treat myself to an improved D. I contacted Cillian and he informed me that they also make a Eb. I have never tried this key but am possible keen to give it a go. Any personal experience playing this whistle for ITM would be appreciated.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Re: O'Briain Eb

Post by Polara Pat »

I was planning on waiting to hit 100 views without a comment as my social experiment but it looks like I'll have to break it to ask a follow up question. (That I hopefully won't have to answer) Does anyone have any recommendations besides Cillian O'Briain for an Eb since it doesn't seem that anyone has tried his?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Sorry you're not getting any responses - so I'll just say, as a beginner - I don't have this particular whistle, or play sessions, but I do have Generation Eb whistles in brass & nickel, & they are quite a nice whistle, not far off from the D - but I would imagine you would have to change your style to play one in a session, as they seem to concentrate on the key of D. Probably not very helpful to you, but all that I can offer. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Jan-Michel
Tell us something.: Hi, i'm looking forward to join the chiff and fipple forum, since i'm playing irish folk for quite a long time now. I started playing the uilleann pipes 2 1/2 years ago and i've been reading here pretty often to get some advice and also to see the offers. To participate here i'd love to be registered! Greetings

Michel

Post by Jan-Michel »

Hey, i had to refresh my password to post here, but i already followed the other thread about the O'Briain D whistle.

So here are my experiences with those, especially the Eb:
normally i tend to like whistles with a good amount of backpressure, a strong first octave and i like it if i can lean a bit into the whistle on every note. Both of my "main" high D's (Goldie and Swayne) share some of these points but aren't perfect so i was searching for a high D which fits me perfectly.

For that reason i ordered myself an O'Briain D and Eb and both don't need much air have a small amount of backpressure but for that reason they play themselfs so easily and are a joy to play.

The Eb has an absolutely sweet sound and is so well balanced over the octaves, while not getting shrill on the highest notes.
A big difference between my O'Briain D and Eb is that the D is overblowing much easier, causing some squeaky noises in the lower octave - could be because i am used to some stronger whistles, but for some reason the Eb doesn't show this effect. (maybe there's a connection to the tweaking of both whistles - O'Briain changed the diameter of the tube in the upper body of the Eb whistle - he doesn't do that with the D)

The Eb is now one of my favorite whistles, because of the combination of all those things, i can play that whistle without a lot of effort all evening long, and i think i am aswell searching for an other sound in an Eb than in a D-Whistle.
I would definitely give it a try!
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

Parks makes a very nice Eb whistle - well, made, as the website says he is not accepting any new orders at the moment. But Parks whistles seem to appear fairly regularly in the secondary market, so if you check Ebay or post in the used instruments forum here on C&F you might be able to pick one up in a short time.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

fatmac wrote:Sorry you're not getting any responses - so I'll just say, as a beginner - I don't have this particular whistle, or play sessions, but I do have Generation Eb whistles in brass & nickel, & they are quite a nice whistle, not far off from the D - but I would imagine you would have to change your style to play one in a session, as they seem to concentrate on the key of D. Probably not very helpful to you, but all that I can offer. :)
Haha, I forgot to use my sarcasm emoji about not getting any hits. I appreciate your input as a fellow novice. I think that my playing would probably appreciate a Eb in the arsenal.
ceilidhdog

Post by ceilidhdog »

I have a Jerry Freeman Blackbird in Eb and like it a lot. Fun to play and sounds great (to my ear).
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Polara Pat wrote:Haha, I forgot to use my sarcasm emoji about not getting any hits. I appreciate your input as a fellow novice. I think that my playing would probably appreciate a Eb in the arsenal.
It's taking me a while to really find 'my' whistle, so I know they are all tempting to try. :D

I started out by getting all the Generations, in all the keys, both brass & nickel, that gave me an insight to what I might like, so I bought a Dixon Trad brass in G, then I came across a pre used one in A, & I think I like that size better, so have an aluminium tunable heading my way shortly.
Keith.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

fatmac wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:Haha, I forgot to use my sarcasm emoji about not getting any hits. I appreciate your input as a fellow novice. I think that my playing would probably appreciate a Eb in the arsenal.
It's taking me a while to really find 'my' whistle, so I know they are all tempting to try. :D

I started out by getting all the Generations, in all the keys, both brass & nickel, that gave me an insight to what I might like, so I bought a Dixon Trad brass in G, then I came across a pre used one in A, & I think I like that size better, so have an aluminium tunable heading my way shortly.
I actually have a pretty good stack of whistles at this stage and try to play them all. My all time favourite is a top secret design by JF that he has asked me not to discuss yet. Also love my alto A from him. I'm always just up for something a bit different. Unlike a lot of folks, I'm not hunting for the perfect whistle. Mostly because I don't think it exists. At least not for me.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

My perfect whistle?

The one that makes me sound good....... :wink:
Keith.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

I wonder why he only tweaked D and Eb? D and C seem like obvious choices to me but I hadn't even thought about picking up an Eb until now. I think I'll give it a go. The sound clips on youtube of Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Cathal McConnell playing his Eb sound wicked.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Jan-Michel wrote:Hey, i had to refresh my password to post here, but i already followed the other thread about the O'Briain D whistle
Can you please tell me where is this O'Briain D thread of which you speak? I would like to see what others have to say about it
Jan-Michel
Tell us something.: Hi, i'm looking forward to join the chiff and fipple forum, since i'm playing irish folk for quite a long time now. I started playing the uilleann pipes 2 1/2 years ago and i've been reading here pretty often to get some advice and also to see the offers. To participate here i'd love to be registered! Greetings

Michel

Post by Jan-Michel »

I think i was referring to the following post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107625&hilit=o%27briain
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Just got my D and Eb O'Briain whistles and they are great!! I can't get enough of this Eb it really sings and my Ds sound deep by comparison when I go back to them after playing for a bit. I find that i can play faster and clearer as well. It is a bit easy to over blow but that's just because I'm used to a bigger push. I'll get that sorted in no time. I'm tempted to blow off our NYs midnight cross country ski so I can session it more. Or...take it with me!! My poor friends. Hah
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Polara Pat wrote:Just got my D and Eb O'Briain whistles and they are great!! I can't get enough of this Eb it really sings and my Ds sound deep by comparison when I go back to them after playing for a bit. I find that i can play faster and clearer as well. It is a bit easy to over blow but that's just because I'm used to a bigger push. I'll get that sorted in no time. I'm tempted to blow off our NYs midnight cross country ski so I can session it more. Or...take it with me!! My poor friends. Hah
:thumbsup: