Any experience with low-cost but quality PVC whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Any experience with low-cost but quality PVC whistles?

Post by MichaelRS »

As the title says, I'm interested in hearing from anybody who has any experience with low cost but reasonable quality PVC whistles, such as those made by Shearwater or Dixon or Susato Etc.

In particular the low whistles. From my research so far it seems that getting a PVC low whistle is the best way to get a decent low whistle at a low cost.

My favorite high D whistle is the one I have from susato. The since discontinued Dublin model. I've ordered a Dixon high D that should be here any day now. But I'm thinking my next one will be a Low D from somebody, and so looking for ideas.

Right now I'm vacillating between the Shearwater and the Dixon low D's. But if anybody else has some ideas, with some practical experience to back it up, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Oh, and I'm going for a low D because it's my understanding that is a goodb general-purpose low whistle. If anybody feels differently please let me know.

Thanks
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Any experience with low-cost but quality PVC whistles?

Post by PB+J »

MichaelRS wrote:As the title says, I'm interested in hearing from anybody who has any experience with low cost but reasonable quality PVC whistles, such as those made by Shearwater or Dixon or Susato Etc.

In particular the low whistles. From my research so far it seems that getting a PVC low whistle is the best way to get a decent low whistle at a low cost.

My favorite high D whistle is the one I have from susato. The since discontinued Dublin model. I've ordered a Dixon high D that should be here any day now. But I'm thinking my next one will be a Low D from somebody, and so looking for ideas.

Right now I'm vacillating between the Shearwater and the Dixon low D's. But if anybody else has some ideas, with some practical experience to back it up, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Oh, and I'm going for a low D because it's my understanding that is a goodb general-purpose low whistle. If anybody feels differently please let me know.

Thanks

I have a Parks High D whistle, and a Susato fixed tuning low F whistle. I don't like the "beak" on the Susato F, it's a combination of wide and shallow, feels really big and oversized. It's sort of comical, like a giant kid's toy. It's very easy blowing with a smooth tone that's more towards the recorder end of the spectrum. It take a ton of air to play, much more than the MK whistles low D.

The Parks whistle sounds very recorder-ish but he includes a clever simple "tone ring" that lets you bring the tone closer to a traditional whistle. I find I don't play it very often because I have others I like better. But it would be a good choice for a whistle with a variable character.

I also have a Dixon polymer low D which I really dislike. The low notes are weak and the high notes are shrill. It's just not fun to play.

Also I'm not very good so please don't mistake these for definitive opinions!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I like my Dixon ABS high D whistle, it's quite mellow compared to Generations, & Feadog, & I have found my Waltons Black (aluminium) to be about the same as the Dixon.

Whilst I don't have a Dixon low D whistle, I do have their one piece ABS flute, it too is fairly mellow, but not as much as the high D, so I'd expect their one piece low D whistle to be similar - beware though that the lower hole spacing takes some getting used to. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

I just happen to have several Parks', Susatos and Dixons.

For me... The Parks whistles are excellent and not at all recorder-like. I play the high C and D daily. Clear, crisp, easy to play, very even octaves. Go listen to some YouTube videos.

I agree with the above about Dixon polymer high whistles. Simply don't like them. I like the low D, though. Good tone and easy to play. It does take some air, though.

Susato low D.... Most excellent. It takes a little bit of air. But, great tone, intonation, octaves and fingering is comfortable for me with my average size hands.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Ronk
Tell us something.: I enjoy playing flutes & whistles. C&F is a great place to learn more about both. It is interesting to find out more about makers, history, techniques and making music with these instruments.

Post by Ronk »

I have a 3 piece Dixon low D I am ready to part with. Email me if you're curious.
Kral "dot" ron "at" gmail.com
ggunner

Post by ggunner »

I don't have any experience with their low whistles, but Parks and Goldfinch make very nice quality PVC whistles at a very fair price. If I'm not mistaken the lowest whistle in the Parks line is the "A". Goldfinch has a full line of whistles from low "C" to high "Eb". Parks is based in Florida. Goldfinch is in Europe, but they ship promptly and seem to keep plenty on hand so you don't have to wait.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

If you want a really cheap low whistle, you could make one yourself from pvc pipe. I don't even bother with a mouthpiece but just make it like on a quena. Takes about 20 min. Cost: 2.50 € for 2m of pipe. But having said that. The Dixon one piece low D is really nice. Just feels a bit flimsy.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Sedi wrote:If you want a really cheap low whistle, you could make one yourself from pvc pipe. I don't even bother with a mouthpiece but just make it like on a quena. Takes about 20 min. Cost: 2.50 € for 2m of pipe. But having said that. The Dixon one piece low D is really nice. Just feels a bit flimsy.
Well, I would prefer one that actually works, so I won't be making anything myself LOL. :D
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

MichaelRS wrote:
Sedi wrote:If you want a really cheap low whistle, you could make one yourself from pvc pipe. I don't even bother with a mouthpiece but just make it like on a quena. Takes about 20 min. Cost: 2.50 € for 2m of pipe. But having said that. The Dixon one piece low D is really nice. Just feels a bit flimsy.
Well, I would prefer one that actually works, so I won't be making anything myself LOL. :D
Don't sell yourself short. Making a whistle from the excellent,free, plans by Guido Gonzato is really easy and they play beautifully. The plans include dimensions for many keys of whistles,and building them requires very basic tools that you probably already have. The plans are ultra comprehensive and easy to follow, with many pictures. People here would be glad to help you with any problems. I can tell you that the thrill of playing music on an instrument you've made yourself is wonderful.

https://sites.google.com/site/guidogonzato/ggwhistles

Someone mentioned not even making a fipple, but playing the whistle quena style. This is certainly possible but the embouchure takes a bit of practice. That could get you on your way to playing Irish flute if you wanted to. It just this moment occurred to me that it ought to be pretty simple to use the measurements for a Gonzato whistle to make a transverse flute.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tor

Post by Tor »

I completely understand the OP - I have one of Guido's whistles, and it does play beautifully - unfortunately it's not tuned exactly to concert pitch, so in practice I can't use it. Therefore I looked into making one myself, following his plans and having the sample in my hands.
I can't do it, it's out of my league.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Nightingale Whistles of Poland are very good. All PVC.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:Nightingale Whistles of Poland are very good. All PVC.
Sorry, I meant Goldfinch Whistles.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:
Tyler DelGregg wrote:Nightingale Whistles of Poland are very good. All PVC.
Sorry, I meant Goldfinch Whistles.
Nightingale, Goldfinch, Canary...all pretty much the same. Easy to be confused. :thumbsup: :lol:
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Tor wrote:I completely understand the OP - I have one of Guido's whistles, and it does play beautifully - unfortunately it's not tuned exactly to concert pitch, so in practice I can't use it. Therefore I looked into making one myself, following his plans and having the sample in my hands.
I can't do it, it's out of my league.
Is it sharp or flat? Out of pitch overall,or just with itself? There's a simple way that you might make it tuneable,particularly if it's flat. Find a PVC coupler of the right diameter. Cut :o the head off the whistle around where you think a slide should go. I think the Gonzato instructions will give a good idea of this. You can get special PVC pipe cutters,but a hacksaw works just fine. Be careful not to inhale the dust!Remove the burrs and put the whistle together.
The whistle will probably still be flat,maybe even a little flatter due to a ridge inside the coupler. Working very gradually, shorten the top of the body section. Couple of millimeters at a time. The hacksaw may be a bit crude for this. Try coarse sandpaper,or a grinding wheel if you have one and are comfortable with it. Test the tuning and repeat until the whistle is up to pitch.
If the whistle is sharp you may still be able to bring it to pitch.Add a coupler as above but don't push the sections of the whistle all the way in. This might be enough to get it to the correct pitch.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tor

Post by Tor »

Yes, it is flat.. but it is in tune with itself. My plan was to do something like you suggested, but I still concluded I couldn't do it. I spent my early youth trying to learn to build and create things with my hands, until I realized that I'm just not able to do it well, to put it mildly. That's why I turned my creativity into programming instead, and my hands *do* work well on a keyboard. The only kind of work I'm able to do with my hands is some very specific maintenance of my guitars.