Outdoor Whistle Recommendation (in Windy Places...)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
moonlitnarwhal
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm hoping to sell a pair of all-new bellows-blown Scottish Smallpipes. I'm hoping that I came to the right place.

Outdoor Whistle Recommendation (in Windy Places...)

Post by moonlitnarwhal »

Hello!

I'm hoping to find a whistle that can be played, unaffected, in really windy places. To be more specific - I live close to the coast and have long noticed that my Killarney D can become almost silenced in even a light breeze, while my older Clarke Sweetone doesn't seem to be perturbed at all. When I say "almost silenced" I don't mean the volume of the whistle necessarily, and but rather that if any outdoor wind interacts with the fipple then the sound is almost immediately "overpowered" by the wind and quieted for a moment until the breeze dies down (which makes playing in constant, coastal trade winds on the Killarney not very satisfying...). To be clear, the Killarney is absolutely wonderful at home or in non-windy situations, and the "quieting" is most pronounced in the first octave, but I've really been enjoying playing outside near the water recently and am considering ordering another high whistle that can hold up in the wind (ideally an Eb, but a D would be fine too). Has anyone here experienced this in the wind as well - it's very noticeable to me when comparing the two, as the Clarke can even be played facing into the wind... I'm assuming it has something to do with the fipple curvature, as the Killarney has a slight curve on the fipple ramp(?), while the Clarke is completely straight...

Thank you for any recommendations you may have - I would just stick to the Clarke for these windy times, but it's getting pretty beat-up from living in my work truck and I would be excited to try a new whistle anyway... As a side note, I like louder whistles and don't mind blowing harder, and would like to spend under a $100....

Thank you all for reading this long post and for your thoughts!

Rich
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Outdoor Whistle Recommendation (in Windy Places...)

Post by fatmac »

I don't know about being in windy places, but Generation & Feadog are generally louder than the Clarkes, from my experience, which I admit , isn't a lot, but I thought I'd just mention it, in case you haven't tried them yourself. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

moonlitnarwhal wrote:I'm hoping to find a whistle that can be played, unaffected, in really windy places.
There isn't one. Some may be affected more than others, but all whistles are susceptible to interference from wind.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

Peter Duggan wrote: There isn't one. Some may be affected more than others, but all whistles are susceptible to interference from wind.
Agreed. I think generally, though, the louder the whistle, oftentimes the better wind resistance. To the OP, My Milligan has withstood decent wind. I never tried playing out on the ocean (any Irish trad players see what I did just there? :lol: ), so I can't really speak to coastal winds. I payed about €162 (or about $185 USD) for my Milligan, so It's a little over the price range, but I really like it and it plays brilliantly for me.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

moonlitnarwhal wrote:Hello!

Has anyone here experienced this in the wind as well - it's very noticeable to me when comparing the two, as the Clarke can even be played facing into the wind...
Thank you for any recommendations you may have -
Thank you all for reading this long post and for your thoughts!

Rich
In the C&F archives this has been discussed. I think it was Greg that spoke of doing the ''wind dance''. I believe it is a two step waltz either to the left or right till the wind is not affecting the whistle.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Susato...case closed.
moonlitnarwhal
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm hoping to sell a pair of all-new bellows-blown Scottish Smallpipes. I'm hoping that I came to the right place.

Post by moonlitnarwhal »

Hmmm, I have heard that the Susato whistles are known to be really loud, and being all plastic could be an advantage where I'm thinking of playing it...

Are there any used high D or Eb Susatos needing a new home here? I can offer sandy beaches and a fair price!

Yes, I can understand that all whistles would be affected by wind to some degree, but this really makes me respect the Sweetone, as it sounds (very nearly) unaffected by the wind, even facing directly into it in the lower octave... again, I'd just stick with this one, but I just crunched it in the truck the other day, and the interior is now abundantly rust-coated - all good excuses to start seeking a new toy!

Thanks again for all of your wealth of knowledge and input!

Rich
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I looked for, but could not find the picture I remembered seeing of Kevin Crawford playing whistle with a bucket on his head. It was on tour Stateside outdoors in the wind. . . :lol:
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

an seanduine wrote:I looked for, but could not find the picture I remembered seeing of Kevin Crawford playing whistle with a bucket on his head. It was on tour Stateside outdoors in the wind. . . :lol:
Bob
That's because it's a video, about 30 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixckTW21e4I

Tidy Cats.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

If your whistle is tuneable flip the head upside down. It helps but might not keep all the wind out.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Wasn't there a thread about this some years ago? I remember the 'upside down' trick being discussed there too. But I also remember something about whistles built with a little 'wall' around the windway and that they may be more "windproof".
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thank you Kevin. My 'senior moment' had it as a 'still-photo'. :thumbsup:
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

kkrell wrote:
an seanduine wrote:I looked for, but could not find the picture I remembered seeing of Kevin Crawford playing whistle with a bucket on his head. It was on tour Stateside outdoors in the wind. . . :lol:
Bob
That's because it's a video, about 30 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixckTW21e4I

Tidy Cats.
Appears to be a Burke whistle.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

For some reason, my Burke NB D brass does better than my other whistles on a breezy day. When it's really windy, nothing works other than playing behind a tree.
However, Burkes cost way over $100.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Bob
As I was reading this post I was wondering if anyone has tried anything as a simple wind break for these conditions. A handkerchief would likely be too stifling... But something else as a barrier for the windway...? A piece of gauze lightly looped over the whistle...? It is winter here so any wind strong enough to test this theory will be too cold for me to enjoy this experiment for awhile. But it would be fun to see what others come up with. :D