It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:11 am 

Hi guys!

I am tempted to buy a middle priced whistle. I have been looking for Dixon trad for a while now because of good reviews. The same is true with Cillian O'Briains feadog.

So for those of you who have played both, how would you compare them?

Thanks, Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:20 pm 

O'Briain improved is the nicer one if you ask me. By several country miles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 pm 

I'll second Mr. Gumby's motion.

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:47 pm 

I wouldn't say either whistle is middle priced. YMMV

I have both whistles and yes O'Briain is my preference.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:11 am 

The O'Briain Improved Faedog is probably my favorite whistle. That said, it requires a lot of breath control and isn't very loud. It has the lowest air requirements of the whistles I've played. You can not really 'lean into it' if you like that in a whistle. But it has the most beautiful tone.

Just mentioning these so your expectations are met. I bought one without seeing much info on them. It probably isn't going to be loud enough in any but the smallest sessions if are looking for volume. I haven't played the Dixon Trad so I can't compare but I would be shocked if it wasn't louder than the O'Briain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 am 

Quote:
I haven't played the Dixon Trad so I can't compare but I would be shocked if it wasn't louder than the O'Briain.

The trad isn't significantly louder.

To be honest, I wouldn't really want a whistle louder than the general O'Briain-Generation-Killarney-Sindt range. They carry well, even if you don't realise while playing. Whistles, as used in traditional Irish music, are by their nature not very loud instruments.

The Trad is in a similar range of breath requirement but I found something odd/off in the way it took the wind and didn't like the way it played for that reason. The O'Briain plays freely and effortlessly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:10 am 

My Dixon trads play differently than my Gens or Feadog, for sure, but it just takes a little bit of practice with them - I know I'm only a newbie to whistles, but I really like my Trads. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:38 am 

I've played both you mentioned. I like them both, but I tend to grab the Dixon Nickel Trad the most. You'll probably end up with both anyway, in due time. Problem solved. In fact , your stable will shrink and swell for years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 am 

I rarely play the High D (not keen to be honest) but one of the few I can tolerate is the Dixon Polymer D (I did have a brass Trad but much preferred the Polymer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t13abzDrrv0

I can't comment on the O'Briain as I've never played one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:58 pm 

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Quote:
I haven't played the Dixon Trad so I can't compare but I would be shocked if it wasn't louder than the O'Briain.

The trad isn't significantly louder.

To be honest, I wouldn't really want a whistle louder than the general O'Briain-Generation-Killarney-Sindt range. They carry well, even if you don't realise while playing. Whistles, as used in traditional Irish music, are by their nature not very loud instruments.

The Trad is in a similar range of breath requirement but I found something odd/off in the way it took the wind and didn't like the way it played for that reason. The O'Briain plays freely and effortlessly.

Agreed. And thanks for that info Mr.Gumby! As I said I hadn't played the Dixon so I wasn't sure how it compared. It's nice to have a definitive, comparative answer. I was just providing what info I could about the O'Briain and people seem to use "is it loud enough for a large session" as a benchmark when talking about whistles. I agree that they don't need to be very loud to be heard. I think the combination of the (comparative) quietness of the O'Briain along with it's required breath control makes it more difficult for me to play in the excitement of a session. I have a tendency to over-blow it out of excitement when trying to play with others, whereas something like the Killarney is much more forgiving and easier to control for me. That's definitely MY shortcoming though and not the whistle's!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:58 am 

Since we're on whistles that are not overly loud, and priced in the middle range, allow me to mention my three favorites.

1. Freeman Mellow Dog
2. Timothy Potter
3. Dixon Trad

I don't care for very loud whistles. It makes me self conscious in an odd sort of way, kind of like talking too loud at a nice restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:36 am 

Yes, Timothy Potter whistles worth the mention.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 pm 

I got a few Dixons. The DX001, the nickel trad and the DX204 (also a few alto and low models). The DX001 has the sweetest, purest and most quiet sound of the 3 but the plastic feels a bit flimsy. The nickel trad is louder and the DX204 louder still. The DX204 was my favorite for some time but nowadays I think it is too loud (my ears are not getting any better it seems, just more sensitive over the years). They are all good whistles. Another nice one and rather cheap is the Feadog Pro. When I got it I didn't like it. I thought it was too "squeaky". But now that my playing has improved (somewhat) it sounds much nicer. The thicker barrel gives a nice heft to it. It takes little air. I quite like it now.
Edit: just played both the Feadog Pro and the Dixon trad again and the Feadog pro is more balanced through the octaves (similar to a Killarney or Clarke Sweetone). The Dixon gets quit loud starting from the 2nd octave G onward. And it is louder overall.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:51 am 

ytliek wrote:
Yes, Timothy Potter whistles worth the mention.

What does that have to do with O'Briain or Dixon Trad whistles?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:56 am 

Sedi wrote:
The thicker barrel gives a nice heft to it

Is the metal actually thicker or is it the extra plating that gives the 'nice heft' ?