New whistle day: Sindt in A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

New whistle day: Sindt in A

Post by PB+J »

Last summer I contacted Mr Sindt and requested a Sindt whistle in A, since I already had whistles i liked in the more common keys and I can use an A whistle in other kinds of music.

I've spent a bit of time with it now and my initial impressions are wow, what a delightful whistle to play! A really sweet tone, fast and easy. Very nicely made with excellent attention to detail. Just a pleasure to play. The Ab is better half-holed than cross fingered. oxx xoo is passable but half holing is better. That will take some adjustment. But I'm really loving this whistle. It's odd to play familiar D tunes in A--it feels like I'm playing a harmony part
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: New whistle day: Sindt in A

Post by fatmac »

Glad to hear you're liking your new 'A' whistle, (I really like my Tony Dixon Trad in 'A'). :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

I have a Sindt A (and a Bb and a D); love it. It's a lovely key and a great whistle.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I used to have a Sindt A/Bb/B set, one head and the three tubes.

All of them played great, but the middle one, the Bb, had a slight edge over the others and was a superb whistle.

("Used to have" because I liked my FrankenGen A and Generation Bb just a hair more, so I sold the Sindt set.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I'm still really impressed with the Sindt A. It's just a joy to play. The only thing that's hard is you can't cross finger the C#, it needs to be half holed, and I just haven't practiced that enough. But the whistle is so nice that I'm considering retraining myself
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

Isn’t C# on an A whistle just XXX XOO?

Edit: oops - I guess you mean G-nat (?)

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

plunk111 wrote:Isn’t C# on an A whistle just XXX XOO?

Edit: oops - I guess you mean G-nat (?)

Pat

Yep, my mistake