Feadog vs. Generations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Feadog vs. Generations

Post by pancelticpiper »

PB+J wrote:
My favorite D whistles are from Killarney whistles. They're very consistent and easy to play. They take a bit more push than some and are louder than the old whistles, not quite as fast, but they have the sweeter sound of the traditional tin whistle and they are nimble and predictable in the way they respond to ornaments. I get a passable C natural with cross fingering.

Yes I think the Killarney is probably the best value in whistles nowadays and ideal for beginners who don't want to go through the potentially lengthy process of finding a great-playing Generation Feadog etc (or finding a decent-playing one and modifying it).

My Killarney D plays uncannily like my favourite D, a c1980 Feaddog Mk1.

About "a bit more push" my Killarney has the easiest 2nd octave of any whistle I've ever owned, slightly easier than my old Feadog, which previously held that distinction. The Killarney also has a fuller low range than that Feadog.

About the crossfingered C natural, it was too sharp using the body my Killarney came with. I switched it for an old Generation D body which gives a great C natural. (A bit of tape would accomplish the same thing.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

pancelticpiper wrote:
PB+J wrote:
My favorite D whistles are from Killarney whistles. They're very consistent and easy to play. They take a bit more push than some and are louder than the old whistles, not quite as fast, but they have the sweeter sound of the traditional tin whistle and they are nimble and predictable in the way they respond to ornaments. I get a passable C natural with cross fingering.

Yes I think the Killarney is probably the best value in whistles nowadays and ideal for beginners who don't want to go through the potentially lengthy process of finding a great-playing Generation Feadog etc (or finding a decent-playing one and modifying it).

My Killarney D plays uncannily like my favourite D, a c1980 Feaddog Mk1.

About "a bit more push" my Killarney has the easiest 2nd octave of any whistle I've ever owned, slightly easier than my old Feadog, which previously held that distinction. The Killarney also has a fuller low range than that Feadog.

About the crossfingered C natural, it was too sharp using the body my Killarney came with. I switched it for an old Generation D body which gives a great C natural. (A bit of tape would accomplish the same thing.)
Yes, from all accounts it is a great whistle. But since its price on the Killarney website is £74 / $95, including shipping, other than the quality of the product, it's suitability for beginners, who may lose interest or find they have no talent for it, may be variable. At least with those two considerations in mind.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Ah, I didn't know the price had risen that close to the century mark. When I bought mine it was closer to the half.

Yet, it far outplays any "boutique" High D Whistle I've tried, whistles in the 200-700 price range, which is why I think the Killarney is a bargain.

I was going back and forth between a Killarney and a Sindt. I eventually sold the Sindt and kept the Killarney.

So for me the finest High D whistles remain the best of the vintage Generations and Feadogs, and Killarneys.

Since a beginner probably won't be able to acquire the former, I recommend that they acquire the latter.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

MichaelRS wrote:Yes, from all accounts it is a great whistle. But since its price on the Killarney website is £74 / $95, including shipping, other than the quality of the product, it's suitability for beginners, who may lose interest or find they have no talent for it, may be variable. At least with those two considerations in mind.
As has been said many times before in this forum, with what other instrument (other than a kazoo) can you get started on a bonafide musical instrument, quite suitable for playing in groups with others, for $100? Beginners can find a less expensive whistle but may not know whether it's really playing in tune or "sounding like a whistle should." PanCeltic plays one professionally, I play at it in an amateurish fashion, but it seems to work across that broad spectrum. I won't presume to assess the contents of anyone's wallet, but most any whistle is a bargain when compared to a flute, fiddle, concertina, or even a bodhran.

Them's my thoughts.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Steve Bliven wrote:
MichaelRS wrote:Yes, from all accounts it is a great whistle. But since its price on the Killarney website is £74 / $95, including shipping, other than the quality of the product, it's suitability for beginners, who may lose interest or find they have no talent for it, may be variable. At least with those two considerations in mind.
As has been said many times before in this forum, with what other instrument (other than a kazoo) can you get started on a bonafide musical instrument, quite suitable for playing in groups with others, for $100? Beginners can find a less expensive whistle but may not know whether it's really playing in tune or "sounding like a whistle should." PanCeltic plays one professionally, I play at it in an amateurish fashion, but it seems to work across that broad spectrum. I won't presume to assess the contents of anyone's wallet, but most any whistle is a bargain when compared to a flute, fiddle, concertina, or even a bodhran.

Them's my thoughts.

Best wishes.

Steve
Oh yes. To be clear, and I guess I should have made it more so in my post, I wasn't trying to criticize our be snarky with anybody. I'm just a little more practical and miserly in my "old age".