Rebooting my whistle playing after many years

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SaraCait
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used this forum nearly 15 years ago in high school to teach myself tin whistle, and I'm thrilled to see it still exists! I'm interested in taking up the whistle again so I came back looking for resources to get back into the game. Thanks!

Rebooting my whistle playing after many years

Post by SaraCait »

Hello, all!

First of all, wow - I'm so thrilled to find this forum still in existence. Back in high school, over 15 years ago now, I used this forum and the incredible experts here to teach myself the tin whistle and went through a period of whistle obsession. (Fun anecdote: I even wore my "Chiff and Fipple" t-shirt to a Celtic session when visiting Ireland in 2003!) Since then, my deep love of Irish music has remained but life happens and I haven't played my whistles in years.

The other night, my husband and I went to see a wonderful Irish music group perform (they're called Childsplay and you should check them out!) and it inspired me to reach for my whistles again. But it's been SO LONG I'm not sure how to begin teaching myself again!

I do have a strong background in music, as I started playing piano at age 9 and played competitively for many years, and have also sang in choirs since that age too. BUT - again, it's been many years since I engaged any kind of musical skills!

I'm hoping you friendly folks can help point me in a good direction to re-learn the tin whistle. I know back in the day there were some great resources, but not sure what still exists nowadays.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to reigniting my whistle passion with you all once more!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Rebooting my whistle playing after many years

Post by fatmac »

Well, the first thing you do is buy a whistle, then another........& another, & another, & so on...... :D

Welcome back. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
SaraCait
Tell us something.: I used this forum nearly 15 years ago in high school to teach myself tin whistle, and I'm thrilled to see it still exists! I'm interested in taking up the whistle again so I came back looking for resources to get back into the game. Thanks!

Post by SaraCait »

Thanks! And, haha - I still have most of my old whistles :) A couple of Elfsongs, a Clarke, a Walton, and I think one or two others. :D
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

SaraCait wrote:Thanks! And, haha - I still have most of my old whistles :) A couple of Elfsongs, a Clarke, a Walton, and I think one or two others. :D
Great!

Then stick one of the things in your mouth already and play!

(I hope you remember which end to blow in!)

Anyway, playing the whistle is a lot like riding a bike. You never forget how to fall off.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

If you feel you could use a teacher and there are none nearby, check out the classes on the Online Academy of Irish Music. There is a fee but it isn't bad. The teaching is very thorough and builds well on itself. Blayne Chastain has lessons online as well but I have not checked them out. A lot of free stuff on youtube is fine but some is awful. Hopefully you will be able to tell the difference if you've been around the music for some time. :)
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

bogheathen
Tell us something.: U.S. born expat on the road in Latin America with tin whistle, concertina, and guitar. My hobby is collecting tunes. Hope to get good at it someday.

Post by bogheathen »

Sara, I found Brother Steve's page a great place to reacquire the basics. http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html.
Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right, it isn't the end. :thumbsup: