Whistle Head on Traditional 'Silver' Flute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Whistle Head on Traditional 'Silver' Flute

Post by Tom Dowling »

Hello Fipplers!!

Long time, no post by me. Been away too long. I have seen advertisements on FaceBook for whistle heads that can be made to replace the traditional mouthpiece on a transverse flute--you know, the standard, old fashioned silver' flute. When set up as suggested, the lowest scale had D as the bell note, which is fine with me. It is my understand that, with that low-end limitation, all other notes that are attainable on a traditional flute are attainable on the one with the whistle head. I have a decent Yamaha introductory flute that probably cost about $300.00 that I rarely play, partially due to a neck problem (my neck, not any part of the flute) and largely due to sloth on my part. I see that the price for the head is somewhere between $250.00 and $300.00. The maker suggests sending him the flute to insure correct fit, tolerances, etc., which I think is a good idea. I am inclined to do that. Before I take that plunge, I was wondering if anyone out there has acquired one of these heads and if you are pleased with the results.

Thanks,

Tom Dowling
Mr.Gumby

Re: Whistle Head on Traditional 'Silver' Flute

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hi Tom, good to see you.

You may want to look at this thread: O'Brien Chromalow whistle discussion or are you referring to another set up?
My brain hurts

Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

My inquiry was precipitated by a product being offered by another maker. I believe he is referred to later in the thread.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

"educciman" (Martin Niethammer in Berlin, Germany) on this forum (hasn't visited since Apr 2018) was in development of a whistle head as well. No website AFAIK, but he has an email of { educciman (at) gmail (dot) com }, and YouTube videos. Wonder how he's getting on?

This one's a curved head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF_FcyC6fco

*** Edited to a later email address, found in a 2017 posting elsewhere. His previous website is no longer active.
Last edited by kkrell on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Tom Dowling wrote:My inquiry was precipitated by a product being offered by another maker. I believe he is referred to later in the thread.
I'm guessing that is the Ethnicwinds one (Nick Metcalf) as illustrated here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2r1LsMUaRk

There were some delivery difficulties with Nick Metcalf discussed by a member in a C&F thread a couple of years ago. I don't know the current status. I think Nick sells his whistles on eBay and may have resolved such earlier reported issues. Here's the previous thread, though, for whatever information you think it might contain.:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102343
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

kkrell wrote:"educciman" (Martin Niethammer in Berlin, Germany) on this forum (hasn't visited since Apr 2018) was in development of a whistle head as well.
If I wanted such a thing, I'd be looking at one of Martin's for the work I know he's put into refining the head to play true over all three octaves. That's not to say the others won't work, but I've been consistently impressed by his obvious understanding of the issues and how his instruments have played.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your input regarding my inquiry.

Tom Dowling
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Tom: It is so good to hear from you. I have missed your company. If you choose, contact me off board. We can catch up, and relish in both of us still being alive...

Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

will do...
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Interesting subject, you've now got me wondering.... :D

Thanks for your links, Bretton. :thumbsup:

Edit: Just as an aside, what would you call it - a Whute or a Flistle? :wink:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Whoehm?

For sure it's something I'd be interested in too.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle