It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am 

Richard,

I have been a long time reader of your excellent Low D related posts, and I was wondering if you are familiar with this model of Burke?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2862637584

(It started off at £350.00, its been reduced several times at one point it was as low as £180.00 but the seller has bumped it back to again £198.00)

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:36 pm 

I can't remember playing an EZ, but my understanding is that it has a smaller and higher Hole 6 than the Burke Pro Viper.

When I was evaluating several Low Ds from different makers one thing I noticed was that the Burke Pro Viper had a weaker Low E than most. The last thing I would want is that hole moved even higher and made even smaller, further weakening Low E.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:44 am 

That's interesting about the hole positioning, the whistle has sold now but thanks for the response anyway Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:57 am 

If you look at several different makes of Low D lined up you'll see how they all have nearly identical hole placement/sizing.

That's the standard Burke Low D ("pro viper").

Why are some holes smaller than most? It's because they're placed too high on the tube, too close to the headjoint, making the note too sharp, so the hole size has to be reduced to flatten the note back down. The main holes this happens to are Holes 3, 4, and 6.

If Hole 6 were ideally placed it would be a full-size hole and placed too far down the tube for most people to reach. Makers have found the best compromise between even voicing and people being able to finger the whistles. Yet, Low E is usually weaker than its neighbours F# and Bottom D. This varies from make to make and the Burke had as I recall one of the weaker Low E's of the dozen or so makes of Low D I've tried. The Burke EZ (from what people have told me) moves Hole 6 higher, meaning it has to be smaller, making it weaker yet.

It's not an issue with small whistles, and when the whistle is small enough you'll see the holes moved to a more even placement and size giving more even voicing.

Notice on these Burkes how as you go from bottom to top Hole 6 gets bigger and moves further down the tube, to its ideal position more or less halfway between Hole 5 and the open end of the whistle.

If you just sized-up the High D whistle (at top) you would create a Low D that nobody could finger.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 am 

Cracking post, thanks for that Richard :thumbsup: