It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Vintage Gens - EBay
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:17 am 

I'm not that brave mate, I've seen the negative response other people's 'sound samples' have received over the years (usually from the same parties)

My background is mainly saxophone/jazz/rock/pop and my playing 'style' is not very ITM (as I've been informed the few times I've dared venture to sessions)

Sorry .. but take my word for it, it's a lovely whistle best Bb I've played (I already own 14 brass Gens)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:36 pm 

That's a fine looking whistle, there.

I agree with your observation about responses. Don't blame you for not putting up a clip.

the truth is not lost. do not search for it.
accept it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:48 pm 

Backhold wrote:
I'm not that brave mate, I've seen the negative response other people's 'sound samples' have received over the years (usually from the same parties)

What, like...
Quote:
a pretty mediocre player in my opinion and I don't think I've ever witnessed a less relaxed player in my life, notice:

The mad staring eyes.

The unnatural arm position.

And as for the 'breathing technique' dear god, I've seen baritone sax players that don't gulp in that much air.

?

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 pm 

Mr. Duggan, having read why you teach... And where....

You're alright in my book. Good on you, Sir.

the truth is not lost. do not search for it.
accept it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:07 pm 

jiminos wrote:
That's a fine looking whistle, there.

I agree with your observation about responses. Don't blame you for not putting up a clip.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:00 am 

Anyone need a lot of whistles?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flageolet-Jo ... SwMjtb-CAi

NB: Not my listing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:19 am 

I'm always amazed by how chewed up these old Generation whistles often are. They look like they've been given to the pet dog to play with.

I suppose the reason that many of them have survived is because someone bought it (probably for a child, who clamped the head between their teeth because they didn't know better), it was played for a short while, given up on and left in a drawer for decades. Ones that were played by long-time playing non-chewers were much more likely to get broken or lost over time.

Your old style Bb looks basically unplayed; a very good catch. I'd like to have one again.

I recently got a hold of old-style C and D whistles. The C is great sounding, very clean, and hardly any tooth marks. "Really smooth" in the comment of one whistle playing friend. It has well balanced octaves(you don't have to "push" to get right the way up, "smooth"), no odd or peculiar notes (the "smooth" thing again I suppose), and is a little quieter overall than a modern Generation. Having said that, I like modern Generation whistles

The D whistle sadly has some accidental damage to the labium (something square pushed into the hole that took a V shaped nick out of the blade). I've dealt with it as best I could with minimal intervention, but there is still a dip in the labium. It still sounds pretty (surprisingly) good, but you can tell that there's something not quite right about it.

The C Generation is now my go-to C whistle. Not just for the sound. I suppose it's that it plays just like the whistles I learnt on way back as a kid. It's a really easy player for me. I can play it without thinking about the whistle and it behaves itself very well (that "smooth" thing again I think).

There are so many caveats to this whole thing. Generation whistles were what I was brought up on, but they're also not what I play all the time by any means. A whistle that is just right in one situation is wrong in another. For instance, I ostensibly dislike Susato whistles. They're too loud, you have to push for those high notes, in fact they're very opinionated whistles that demand to be played in the way I don't really like. Mine also makes funny grunting noises on fingerings or decorations that are fine on other whistles. Also the sound is not "whistley" enough for my liking. Still, I play a Susato regularly, because it is loud, does not seem to care much about wind, or clogging up in the cold ... that is, I play it outdoors where I find it the best whistle for the job, and honestly, it's not that bad :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 pm 

I think you're correct regarding my Bb, as I said in an earlier post the holes are annoyingly (by a long way) out of line with the fipple (I did make one fearful attempt at the 'hot dunk and twist' removal technique but no joy) I suspect it was rejected due to this issue with the holes and it's been left untouched ever since.

The set of three in my OP were surprisingly still on sale earlier this week, and I've just taken delivery of them (though I only really wanted the Bb)

As you can see on the picture below the D has been well gnawed but thankfully the labium is intact.

The C and Bb look a bit odd to me, I think they may have been polished or something to remove teeth marks, the characteristic 'ridge' usually seen on vintage Gens is only just discernible (it is there, but not as obvious at the D) the 'dimple' on the back of the C is also diminished and it's positively huge on the Bb, also the edges of the Bb mouthpiece have been rounded off.

Thankfully a ten second dunk in a cup of tea and both the Bb and C head came off first time with little effort, the D took a couple of dunks but that's now off.

Another oddity; the transfers bubbled and faded after a couple of minutes in hot soapy water (so I've removed them) they are usually a real pain to get off.

Only had five mins with them but first impressions:

The Bb is nice (very nice in fact) but not as nice as my (very difficult to play vintage brass Bb)

The C is outstanding, so outstanding it may usurp my ancient Oak C.

The D 'seems' really nice I say 'seems' as I'm not (by any stretch) a high D player.