It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm 

Hiya,

I wanted to know if someone has experience with Jonathan Swayne whistle?

Would love to hear your recommendation or even if someone has one for sale.

cheers
Lou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:04 am 

At one time I had a very extensive whistle collection. Most of those have been sold, but I retained about five or six that I considered my favorites. Only two of the those are wooden whistles. One was a Blackwood D whistle made by David Boisvert. The other was a European boxwood D whistle made by Jonathan Swayne. Both are works of art with easy second octaves. The Swayne is a particularly sweet sounding whistle.

Of course, many whistles have players who swear by that particular whistle. Everything is subjective. I prefer whistles with an easy second octave that is not shrill. Both the Boisvert and the Swayne fit that bill.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:30 pm 

Backhold wrote:
http://www.roymcmanus.co.uk

What does that have to do with Jonathan Swayne whistles?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:08 am 

I have to agree

( "What does that have to do with Jonathan Swayne whistles?"

The innitial post enquiry is about Swayne whistles and experiences with.....
if another member mentions another maker to tell a story about his wooden whistle collection, what does that have to do with roy mcmanus......or Jon Swayne
Maybe read the post title ( Experience with Jonathan Swayne whistle ?? )

SPONGE :poke:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:03 am 

ggunner wrote:
Both are works of art with easy second octaves. The Swayne is a particularly sweet sounding whistle.

That is experience.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:15 am 

CRIKEY :-? , I have to say you certainly like to get in and have a go.... not jut this post/thread either

Yes perhaps become a lurker once more, nightmagic is interested in SWAYNE WHISTLES, which is one maker, of course you've not broken any rules, and no I'm not a moderator, but posting a link to Roy's site it completely useless to someone after info on a Swaynes whistles, i'm interested in Tully whistles, you wouldn't happen to have the link for Chris Abell :boggle: :poke:

Why you need to be so up yourself with all your post's is beyond me, write less, play more whistle, enjoy life..........

and live long and prosper

sponge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 pm 

Here's a link to Jonathan Swayne's website.

https://www.jonswayne.com/whistles

They are very fine whistles with an easy blowing, and sweet, not shrill, second octave. They compare very favorably with other wooden whistles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 am 

I've only tried one high D Swayne whistle, and it was the only whistle that I've played that I would describe as "reedy." Very unique sound. Plenty of back pressure / resistance to blowing, which I like. Very attractive whistle (boxwood) with nice curves. :)

-Brett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:09 pm 

Many thanks for all answers.

I consider to buy a Jon Swayne so I wanted to know the experience people have with this whistles.

And for the guy with the Roy McManus, thanks I have a D,C, Bb from Roy and all are amazing good :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:07 pm 

I owned two Swayne whistles, one each in d and c. Like some wooden whistle makers, Jon makes each key with a different bore. These are very gently tapered conical-bore whistles, with the only metal being the slides and rings.

The c was as bretton has described. It was kind of like an Overton, with a very reedy sound and very high backpressure.

The d I would describe as perfect. Not perfect as in perfectly pure like a Rose, but perfectly like a whistle. Not too pure, not too sweet, not too dirty, not too loud but not easily lost in the noise. It also had incredible response -- quick, really easy octave changes, and almost perfectly balanced from low-d to d''. That was something I just couldn't get used to. I also couldn't get used to the d and c being SO different. So I sold them as a set.

The Swayne also has the distinction of being the only wooden whistle I've seen in a heavy metal video (actually on another watch, he plays both a low-G and a d). Have a watch. Yes, I posted it not that long ago, but I just LOVE this band, and the album is my favorite of this century. I swear I have 5% of the 4k views, plus I own two copies, one for the shop and one for the living room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2sQdPQU-E

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 am 

Backhold wrote:
@nightmagic

Roy makes a really nice whistle, I thought you may appreciate a look, apologies for the brouhaha that followed.

I meant well.

All good man, I took your post as another option since we're talking woodies. I actually owned a Sweetheart high D a couple of years ago that I bought on a whim, but it was the fully chromatic variety that was too complicated for my highly limited playing skills, which no amount of enthusiasm would overcome. It had a beautiful voice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:30 am 

I have a recent John Swayne low D made from gidgee wood. I believe its optimised for the first octave. I would agree with a previous post that described a reedy tone (hardly surprising as John is an acknowledged pipe-maker). I find it a bit gritty as well and you can really lean into the second octave. The qualities I have described make it my favourite low D. Its a gutsy whistle with good tuning and a lot of fun to play.