What is Whoad?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChristopherB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What is Whoad?

Post by ChristopherB »

I understand that whoad is the whistle form of GAS (Guitar acquisition syndrome), but what does whoad stand for whistle something something something?
I have done a search of the forum but had no luck
Thanks
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits: Albert Einstein
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: What is Whoad?

Post by kkrell »

WHistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder (or very nearly).
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

There is no cure. When you think you have beaten the disorder, it reappears one day.
ChristopherB

Post by ChristopherB »

Thanks for the replies :D
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits: Albert Einstein
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Woad’s the stuff to show men,
Woad to scare your foemen;
Boil it to a brilliant blue
And rub it on your neck and your abdomen
Ancient Briton never hit on
Anything as good as Woad to fit on
Neck or knees or where you sit on,
Tailors, you be blowed!
THE MARCHING SONG OF THE ANCIENT BRITONS
(Sung to the tune of “Men of Harlech”)

http://www.monologues.co.uk/Comic_Songs ... ritons.htm
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Tor

Post by Tor »

Whoad?
I'm sure I'm cured.
I only bought one new whistle this year.
Except for the other one which is supposed to be ready Real Soon Now.
So there.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I call it WAS = Whistle Aquisition Syndrome, it's just like UAS, & HAS, kind of a compulsive obsession with no known cure, except for lack of money. :D

(3 more little ones on their way.....)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's a problem more or less built into the whistle-player's world due to whistles being incredibly inexpensive relative to most other musical instruments. I recently picked up a pile of vintage Generation whistles for around $1 each.

Ranging from rarely-seen lows of around $3,000 to well over $10,000 it's much more difficult to experience UPAD (Uilleann Pipe Acquisition Disorder) unless you're a tech billionaire or lottery winner.

I used to date a violinist. Her violin and bow together cost around what my father had paid for the house my family lived in at the time.

The inexpensiveness of whistle really hit home when chronic cramping lead me to sell off my flutes. For the price I got for one of the flutes I went on a Low D Whistle buying binge. You can get ten nice Low Whistles for the price of one keyed Irish flute.

So just now I can glance over at my whistle roll, with whistles ranging from Bass A to High Eb. The whole roll would probably be around the price of a nice fully keyed wood Irish flute by a good maker.

Highland pipes fall in between these extremes. I have a very good-playing vintage set of Highland pipes I recently picked up for $200, another nice vintage set I paid around $650 for, another I paid around $800 for. There are excellent vintage sets on Ebay right now for under $700, sets that will outplay pretty much anything made today.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tor

Post by Tor »

Violins.. https://www.thestrad.com/news/violinist ... 42.article

So he sold the violin for 80 times as much as he paid for it (but he still gets to play it). But even with the price he bought it for back then he kept paying on the loan for 20 years.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

Whoad is a potential cause of strife in one's marriage, as relieving the symptoms can be much more expensive than the unaffected party can possibly understand :wink: .

For more information, read on.
http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... 4yLJYxHEQk
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

One of the cures for whistle acquisition disorder is to put your affections on another instrument. Whistles are relatively inexpensive compared to other instruments like flutes, pipes, accordions and concertinas! I can speak from experience. :D
Whistling in the Rockies!!