Looking for whistle players in the key of A, B, Bb, E, Eb, F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Harpbender
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Super interested to learn more about whistles. I wrote an app to help learn to play the whistle but I will be the first one needing it as I have not played before.

Looking for whistle players in the key of A, B, Bb, E, Eb, F

Post by Harpbender »

Hi all,

I have posted before about my app T3 which can show finger positions for various wind and string instruments below normal sheet music, play tunes and change keys, and much more.

I just added a lot of new tin whistles in different keys. The app automatically switches finger positions for each note when you change the instrument.

I like to ask your help to make sure I have the positions correct for these various whistles. I am a super beginner and only have a C and a D key whistle.

On www.harpbender I posted the preview of version 3 of T3 and also screenshots of the scales on different key whistles. (The small black bar underneath the finger positions means the 2nd octave) The app is a Windows app and is free. The app comes with some example tunes but also read tunes from ABCNotation.com.

But if you have no time or don't use Windows, I also posted JPGs of the scales. Please look at the screenshots and let me know if those are correct or not.

I really appreciate your help!
Thanks,
Oscar
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Looking for whistle players in the key of A, B, Bb, E, E

Post by pancelticpiper »

Clicking on the link takes me to a Time Warner Cable site.

But it's not rocket science:

You just have to look up the circle of 5ths.

Going into sharp keys from C Major. Note as you move to each next key you have to sharpen the 7th of the new key.
So when you go from C Major to G Major you have to add F#.

C:
G: #
D: ##
A: ###
E: ####
B: #####

Going into flat keys from C Major. Note as you move to each next key you have to flatten the 4th of the new key.
So when you go from C Major to F Major you have to add B flat.

C:
F: b
Bb: bb
Eb: bbb
Ab: bbbb
Db: bbbbb
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Looking at the JPEGs, most of the notes look good, except ...

- The notes you've got as XOXXXX in the first octave, and XOXOOO and XXOXXO in the second and third, won't work on all whistles. Even the high OXXOOO may not be a good third-octave tonic, or first-octave flattened seventh, although it's generally pretty close.

- The B whistle bell note came out wrong: OXXXXX rather than XXXXXX.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Here's the link, fixed: It was missing the .com - takes you to a shared OneDrive page.

http://www.harpbender.com
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Harpbender
Tell us something.: Super interested to learn more about whistles. I wrote an app to help learn to play the whistle but I will be the first one needing it as I have not played before.

Post by Harpbender »

kkrell wrote:Here's the link, fixed: It was missing the .com - takes you to a shared OneDrive page.

http://www.harpbender.com

Thanks kkrel. www.harpbender.com indeed leads to shared Ondrive storage folder. The app and the jps are in that folder. I'll keep working on the app to fix any bug I can find and make further improvements. I did a bunch of work on being able to properly read abcnotation.com files.

With abcnotation one can create very sophisticated and complex music scores. T3 is not intended for that type of use or level of user. T3 is all about learning to play Tiny Tunes. My goal is to use most tunes without having to make any change. I have tried a bunch already and am happy with the results. Many traditional and Irish tunes are readily available and now T3 can show the fingering on the whistles in different keys.