Thumb rest ideas?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Thumb rest ideas?

Post by Bretton »

Playing high D whistle, I've never felt the need for a thumb rest or additional way to support the whistle, However, lately I've mostly been playing my big bore Bb from Roy McManus and it can be tricky to keep a good hold on it. Does anyone have suggestions for adding a thumb rest for support? I wondered if maybe one of the Susato low whistle thumb rests might work, but don't have one handy. I could post the dimensions of the whistle (circumference). If I knew which one/size might work, I'd order one. I'm also not sure if there are other instrument thumb rest / support devices on the market I might be able to adapt.

Thanks!

-Brett
Mr.Gumby

Re: Thumb rest ideas?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bretton wrote: I'm also not sure if there are other instrument support devices on the market I might be able to adapt.Thanks!
-Brett
Saxophone strap, name card strap. A hook can made from a plastic coated shirt hanger.
Here is a link with several Ideas.
search.php?keywords=saxophone+strap&ter ... mit=Search
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I tried a couple of different commercial thumb rests without much success.

Now my low D whistles all have a fat O-ring above the bottom two holes. Surprisingly, it does not get in the way of fingering and it gives just enough extra support. I doubt this would work for something heaver than aluminum bodies.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Thanks everyone!

--Brett
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

I've been using clarinet thumb rests, and some heavy duty double stick tape.

The thumb rest are readily available at music shops/ebay. The double stick tape does need to be replaced every six months or so, but it only takes a couple of minutes to accomplish.

You can also buy rubber pads to fit the thumb rests if you want maximum comfort.

I have both brass and aluminum low whistles...works a treat. :thumbsup:

JD
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've done something sort of like the O ring. I have used a silicone wedding ring. I get a fairly big size depending on the whistle. They stretch on and don't mar the whistle and give you just enough of a bump to defeat gravity.