Burke black aluminum?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Burke black aluminum?

Post by pancelticpiper »

I just now saw this Burke Low D, aluminum, in black finish, on Ebay.

I didn't know Burke did that. I checked their site and I don't see it as an option.

Does anybody know the story about Burkes in black aluminum? Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Burke- ... :rk:3:pf:0
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Burke black aluminum?

Post by plunk111 »

Probably a mis-labeled composite...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

plunk111 wrote:Probably a mis-labeled composite...
It is indeed a Burke composite whistle, apparent from the photo (& check the C&F archives and you'll see others).
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

In the description section, it's identified as a composite model:
The material is a composite (Delrin & fiber composite) Michael Burke used to create a sound more mellow like a wooden instrument.

So, the seller somehow seems a bit confused on the material. I've seen both, and they're quite different.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks, I was wondering if it might be composite.

This sort of thing happens all the time on Ebay.

You've got the photos, the title of the listing, and the description, and often there's not a three-way match.

I follow Highland pipe listings and around once a week I have to contact a seller to point this out, and could they clarify what they're selling?

I went back and re-read this Burke listing and in the description the whistle is stated to be aluminum in one part of the description, composite in another. The title says aluminum but the "item specifics" says composite.

It does raise the question whether the photos show the whistle being sold- it's fairly common on Ebay for the verbiage to be about the thing being sold, but the photos of some other item. Or visa versa!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle