It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Key of F
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:55 am 

The Gary Humphrey whistles look like they'll do the trick. Does anyone have an experience with them?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 am 

Not with an F. I had a D for a while though. It was a fine whistle but between the price of it and the cost of his preferred shipping it turned out Very Expensive. And I eventually sold it on to recoup the expense.

I would suggest you try your Generation F first. They're lovely little whistles off the shelf and given the use F whistles normally get I wouldn't recommend spending ten to fifteen times the price for any other whislte.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:54 am 

I have a recent (maybe 5 years old) high F brass Generation that's one of the better stock Generation whistles I have. For the price, it's worth giving it a try. Chris Abell makes a high F whistle if you want something higher end. https://www.abellflute.com/whistles

Edited to add:

Humphrey whistles are some of my favorites, but I've only ever played his high D models. They have very balanced octaves (strong low D without the high B being too harsh or hard to hit). And, Gary's a swell guy! :)

-Brett

Quote Note: The above quote from "The Principia Discordia"
(https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tilt/principia/body.html)
was edited a bit.
:party:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:51 am 

When I first started whistling like many people I picked up a complete set of Gens (I actually bought two sets, one in brass, one in nickel, liked the brass better, gave away the nickels) a few years on and hopefully now able to pass judgement I find that the F is one of the better players, if I was to rate them I would say:

1. Bb

2. Eb/F (tie)

3. C (okay)

4. D (dreadful)

5. G (too small)

So try a Gen or two before looking at more expensive options, or if you do want to go (ostensibly) upmarket try a Susato High F (be warned though ... LOUD)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 pm 

Backhold wrote:
if I was to rate them I would say:

1. Bb

2. Eb/F (tie)

3. C (okay)

4. D (dreadful)

5. G (too small)

Many years ago an experienced whistler mentioned to me that in his opinion the D was the poorest Generation size.

He said that it was the only size that didn't have its own dedicated tubing-size and head; rather, it was merely a stretched Eb.

He felt the bore was a tad small (in relation to length).

I don't know if it's true, but he said the original Generations were Alto/Soprano pairs Bb/Eb and C/F, each whistle being designed from the ground up and playing nicely. (Of course D/G are likewise an Alto/Soprano pair.)

Does anyone have early Generation literature with which to discover if there was a period when the D wasn't made? Or if that guy's theory was hogwash?

In any case you're not alone in your rankings. I've often heard a preference for Generations in Bb, Eb, and C.

Personally my best-playing whistle (in any key) is an old Generation C. I wish I could find a D that plays like it.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:09 pm 

I found one made by David Furman in Argentina. He calls his company Clover Flutes. He posts on the Chiff and Fipple Facebook page now and again. He uses aluminum. It sings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:45 am 

Quote:
Many years ago an experienced whistler mentioned to me that in his opinion the D was the poorest Generation size.

He said that it was the only size that didn't have its own dedicated tubing-size and head; rather, it was merely a stretched Eb.

He felt the bore was a tad small (in relation to length).

I don't know if it's true, but he said the original Generations were Alto/Soprano pairs Bb/Eb and C/F, each whistle being designed from the ground up and playing nicely. (Of course D/G are likewise an Alto/Soprano pair.)

Does anyone have early Generation literature with which to discover if there was a period when the D wasn't made? Or if that guy's theory was hogwash?

Richard, you have posted this several times before. As before, the reply is that there really isn't any evidence D and G whistles were not available at any point in time. The Generation D whistle goes back at least to the early 20th century, well before plastic heads came in. As do the little G whistles, Generation or otherwise. Plenty of whistles from that time survive to tell the story. Tubes and hole spacings don't seem to have changed from the early G and D models onward. The early Generation C whistles, however, shared the same diameter tube with the D and E flat so, if you want to make a case at all, a case could be made equally easy that D and E flat were upscaled Cs, a bit like how Susato designed their range. The Generation C only seems to have been redesigned, and given a wider tube, when the plastic heads came in.

It's not particularly unusual for whistles to share tube diameter and head design. Whistlemakers appear to feel it works well enough.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:13 am 

I have an early Clarke, late 19th early 20th century high F whistle that I got for a few bucks on Ebay. It has been banged about a good bit and the fipple has shifted. I will copy it when time allows and make a half dozen or so until I get one that I like. I will keep you posted when I have one available.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:13 am 

pancelticpiper wrote:

Personally my best-playing whistle (in any key) is an old Generation C. I wish I could find a D that plays like it.

That's a really interesting post thanks for that.

Coincidentally I picked up a 'vintage' (and noticeably chewed) brass Gen C off eBay last week, I can only hope it anything like as good as yours.

On the subject of Gens/F whistles, can anyone she'd any light on this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3954124671

It appears to have been endowed with three extra holes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am 

I suggested a Susato High F to the OP yesterday, well Phil at Big Whistle is selling off a Susato High G at a very good price (less than half) it may be worth picking that up and buying an F tube directly from Susato?

And I believe that Shearwater make both a tuneable and non tuneable High F

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:49 am 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2296091736

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 pm 

Quote:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2296091736

£20 is a bit much, especially when you add the postage. Last week there was a batch of two, a D or C and a little G that went for £17, postage is getting excessive (and prohibitive) with the ebay shipping scheme and they would have cost me £30 in total. That's silly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm 

To be honest I never even looked at the price, I saw 'F' and thought the OP may be interested.

Like you I wouldn't pay anything like £20.00 for it but who knows the OP may?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:20 pm 

I'm presently awaiting delivery of a 70's Brass Gen C, £5.00 with free P&P.

No great loss if it's a nail but £20.00 + would sting a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:28 pm 

Have you seen this batch Mr G?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2990449742

Does the mouthpiece on the Gen look a little odd to you?

Appears to be excess plastic around the 'bulge'