Key of F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hawthorn1213
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in finding answers to whistle related questions I have. These questions are specifically related to whistle keys and specific makers/manufacturers.

Re: Key of F

Post by hawthorn1213 »

The Gary Humphrey whistles look like they'll do the trick. Does anyone have an experience with them?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Not with an F. I had a D for a while though. It was a fine whistle but between the price of it and the cost of his preferred shipping it turned out Very Expensive. And I eventually sold it on to recoup the expense.

I would suggest you try your Generation F first. They're lovely little whistles off the shelf and given the use F whistles normally get I wouldn't recommend spending ten to fifteen times the price for any other whislte.
My brain hurts

Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I have a recent (maybe 5 years old) high F brass Generation that's one of the better stock Generation whistles I have. For the price, it's worth giving it a try. Chris Abell makes a high F whistle if you want something higher end. https://www.abellflute.com/whistles

Edited to add:

Humphrey whistles are some of my favorites, but I've only ever played his high D models. They have very balanced octaves (strong low D without the high B being too harsh or hard to hit). And, Gary's a swell guy! :)

-Brett
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Many years ago an experienced whistler mentioned to me that in his opinion the D was the poorest Generation size.

He said that it was the only size that didn't have its own dedicated tubing-size and head; rather, it was merely a stretched Eb.

He felt the bore was a tad small (in relation to length).

I don't know if it's true, but he said the original Generations were Alto/Soprano pairs Bb/Eb and C/F, each whistle being designed from the ground up and playing nicely. (Of course D/G are likewise an Alto/Soprano pair.)

Does anyone have early Generation literature with which to discover if there was a period when the D wasn't made? Or if that guy's theory was hogwash?

In any case you're not alone in your rankings. I've often heard a preference for Generations in Bb, Eb, and C.

Personally my best-playing whistle (in any key) is an old Generation C. I wish I could find a D that plays like it.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I found one made by David Furman in Argentina. He calls his company Clover Flutes. He posts on the Chiff and Fipple Facebook page now and again. He uses aluminum. It sings.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Many years ago an experienced whistler mentioned to me that in his opinion the D was the poorest Generation size.

He said that it was the only size that didn't have its own dedicated tubing-size and head; rather, it was merely a stretched Eb.

He felt the bore was a tad small (in relation to length).

I don't know if it's true, but he said the original Generations were Alto/Soprano pairs Bb/Eb and C/F, each whistle being designed from the ground up and playing nicely. (Of course D/G are likewise an Alto/Soprano pair.)

Does anyone have early Generation literature with which to discover if there was a period when the D wasn't made? Or if that guy's theory was hogwash?
Richard, you have posted this several times before. As before, the reply is that there really isn't any evidence D and G whistles were not available at any point in time. The Generation D whistle goes back at least to the early 20th century, well before plastic heads came in. As do the little G whistles, Generation or otherwise. Plenty of whistles from that time survive to tell the story. Tubes and hole spacings don't seem to have changed from the early G and D models onward. The early Generation C whistles, however, shared the same diameter tube with the D and E flat so, if you want to make a case at all, a case could be made equally easy that D and E flat were upscaled Cs, a bit like how Susato designed their range. The Generation C only seems to have been redesigned, and given a wider tube, when the plastic heads came in.

It's not particularly unusual for whistles to share tube diameter and head design. Whistlemakers appear to feel it works well enough.
My brain hurts

nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I have an early Clarke, late 19th early 20th century high F whistle that I got for a few bucks on Ebay. It has been banged about a good bit and the fipple has shifted. I will copy it when time allows and make a half dozen or so until I get one that I like. I will keep you posted when I have one available.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

£20 is a bit much, especially when you add the postage. Last week there was a batch of two, a D or C and a little G that went for £17, postage is getting excessive (and prohibitive) with the ebay shipping scheme and they would have cost me £30 in total. That's silly.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Not sure it's a player's whistle, not one for regular playing anyway, with the lead fipple, no tuning slide (and at that age probably not A=440) and all that. The ones I was looking at last week were pre 1950s ones as well.
My brain hurts

Tor

Post by Tor »

My F and my Eb (both off the shelf) are very different. The F is almost like my (D) Bluebird. The Eb is nothing special, nothing like the F. Quite similar to the D I have. Not bad though. Yeah, the G is too small. Haven't got a C or a Bb.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Very annoying, people talking about all these whistles..........

I've just had to order up the brass Eb, F, & G to complete my Generation collection. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I'm guessing you like the low ones. :D

I've got a couple of TD brass trads that cover that end for me (A & G). :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.