Unusual Bb Generation mouthpiece pre-80s

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Unusual Bb Generation mouthpiece pre-80s

Post by Squeakie »

Hi,
I just recently purchased a bundle of 10 used whistles from a widow, so she knows nothing about them, other than her husband had them for many years. She did indicate the Generations where his favorites. My favorite is a two piece Eagle, which is why I bid in the first place. The Eagle has a very sweet and not shrill toned, and plays strongly in the upper register, but is fussy with breath levels on the lowest two notes, but the sweetness and great tuning more than makes up for it. Oddly, a nearly neon green Sweetone is really excellent too, super easy to play, with a very strong low register, probably the easiest player I own, and as the Eagle, is in nearly perfect tune, but with that ocarina-like Sweetone sound, which I do like. :) I was thinking to use it as a car whistle if it was halfway decent before I got the package, But now that I’ve played it, it’s far too good to leave in my car., the darn thing never clogs, it just plays and plays.

Anyhow, I got several Generations, a C, D, and two Bb’s, with the Bb brass mouthpiece being a little different to my eye. It’s nearly pink, maybe from fading? It’s got the front seam and back dimple from the molding process as pre 80’s whistles do, but the little hump in front of the window is different.
I thought I would share, as it’s different from any of my other pre-80’s Generation whistles.

I can only detect one other difference between it and the nickel Bb looks and dimensions, other than the hump. The sides of the window does have a thin lip of plastic, which I was able to capture in the picture. Not knowing much about Generations, I’m not sure if this sometimes happens as part of the molding process, or was a feature of this particular design. I got a Clare whistle exactly like that and carefully filed those off, greatly improving the overall sound. I don’t want to do that to this whistle without some more research. I think it was well loved as it is, and does play well, though not great for me.
Lisa
Mr.Gumby

Re: Unusual Bb Generation mouthpiece pre-80s

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It does look a bit mal-formed. The bits inside the window are left overs from the moulding process and probably should go.

Not sure I can say much particular to the Bflats, I never had one (or the need for one ) until recently one arrived as part a batch much like yours. The plastic they used for the red ones during a particular period did tend to discolour over time, especially when exposed to light. Often it became brittle too so take care to avoid breaking it: don't drop it on its head.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Unusual Bb Generation mouthpiece pre-80s

Post by Sirchronique »

I have an old Generation Bb that is even more faded than that, looking a very whitish pink. Maybe the really old ones just didn’t hold their colour as well.

I will say, I don’t find the average modern gen Bb’s to be any worse or better than the average old ones. I think that is the one key where the moulding has remained good quality and much more consistent across time, both pre and post 80’s, with a smaller degree of variation from whistle to whistle. I see a more notable difference in the keys of C and above. (This is not to say there aren’t many examples of outliers out there, though)