Not wrong, just different

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Not wrong, just different

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:The tab's in a different key. The notation's in A minor* and the tab's in E minor*. (*Aeolian.)
Is it? I must have been reading it wrong. I told you I wasn't very good at tab. :oops:
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Polara Pat wrote:Just curious (like a new born baby) what constitutes a gimmicky tune?
I would say this one is gimmicky because the first part is less of a melody than it is riffing on on a chord progression, which is not how traditional tunes are constructed, for one thing, and for another, the sequence of chords stated (Am-F-G) really belong in rock music rather than in trad. (Anyone who has ever strummed a guitar has discovered that the Am-G-F sequence underlies a barrowload of songs and ridiculously easy to jam/blow/wail away on top of.) Using it in a trad context is just a cheap thrill. :D
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

StevieJ wrote:In the second bar, once you have established your F-natural on the long first note by half holing, thus (v indicating the half-covered hole):

[| xxx xvo]

then leave the first and second fingers of your bottom hand where they are while you play the remainder of the bar. This gets rid of the difficulty of hitting the F-natural accurately in the "pedal" bits.
This is a brilliant fix for the first part -- now I want to find a decent tune with that pattern in it ;) -- but doesn't help with the F-natural roll (followed by E and F-natural again, double ugh) in the second part. I can remember pre-teen Sean Gavin celebrating in delight because he figured out how to do an F-natural roll on whistle, but I've not the slightest clue how he actually did it.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Alright, just to get back on track, my buddy plays this one in D minor on his B/C box. So that's what I'll have to try and match.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

C whistle with the E minor fingering (tab) or F whistle with the the A minor fingering (staff notation).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Peter Duggan wrote:C whistle with the E minor fingering (tab) or F whistle with the the A minor fingering (staff notation).
Thanks Peter. I actually thought that I would need to find different music than what I had shown earlier. C whistle would be great and dumb question number 743, is the fingering tabs that I posted in E minor? I should probably know these things but I don't.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Polara Pat wrote:is the fingering tabs that I posted in E minor?
Yes. It's technically Aeolian mode because there's no sharpened seventh, but most people just call it minor. So playing your tab on a whistle pitched a tone lower (i.e. C rather than D) will give you the same drop to D minor.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:is the fingering tabs that I posted in E minor?
Yes. It's technically Aeolian mode because there's no sharpened seventh, but most people just call it minor. So playing your tab on a whistle pitched a tone lower (i.e. C rather than D) will give you the same drop to D minor.
Cheers
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

colomon wrote: the F-natural roll
Keep in mind that putting in rolls is up to the discretion of the player. So you can put in a roll where you want, and do an alternative to a roll where you want.

Nevertheless it's easy to do a roll-like thing on F: play a pair of cuts rather than a cut and a pat. It's the same sort of thing you'll hear many players doing on D.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

pancelticpiper wrote:
colomon wrote: the F-natural roll
Nevertheless it's easy to do a roll-like thing on F: play a pair of cuts rather than a cut and a pat. It's the same sort of thing you'll hear many players doing on D.
F-natural "cran", that's easy enough all right! Nice.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

colomon wrote: F-natural "cran", that's easy enough all right!
Well not a cran per se, which would have three cuts, but a roll with two cuts rather than a cut and a pat:

XXX XDO
OXX XDO
XXX XDO
XXO XDO
XXX XDO

in other words the low-hand finger positions don't change, in like manner to when you're doing the "rocking" phrase, moving upper-hand fingers but leaving the lower-hand fingers the same.

The two cuts could be any upper-hand notes in any order. The important thing is the timing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle