Not wrong, just different

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Not wrong, just different

Post by Polara Pat »

Image56108135454__58B6D7C7-D09A-498E-9D8E-67626D5E38D7 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr

I know, it's sideways. Just tilt your head.

So, my friend who plays accordion with me is out of the country right now and we agreed to learn a reel apart then see how close we are when he gets back. We chose Tam Lin (Glasgow)reel and I found this version since I'm still not very good at reading music. I did my best to listen to a lot of variations of the tune and then set to work learning this version. I can play it alright at very slow speed but then when I went back to listen to a few different versions again I realized that I wasn't even close. Well, maybe slightly close. I watched a few whistlers in slow-mo and we are definitely playing a different tune. I'm aware that there are endless versions of every tune but when I hum this one to myself it isn't what I've been practicing. Whoops. This is just an observation. Not really looking for help or to start a debate unless you really need to. :D
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Not wrong, just different

Post by benhall.1 »

Caveat: I'm not very good at reading tab.

Having said that, that tab doesn't look right. The tab for all of the Cs looks to me as if it would produce Gs. Also, it's not clear - to me, at least - that you've got to half hole in order to produce the Fnats. I haven't gone any further than that. Reading it sideways gives me a crick in my neck and, as I've said, I'm not too good at tab, and I'm guessing that it's the tab that you're using and that's why you're not playing it right.

It's a terribly difficult tune to play in that key on a D whistle. Personally, I wouldn't do it. (I mean, personally, I would never pay the horrible, nasty thing in the first place, but that's another matter.)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

The tab's in a different key. The notation's in A minor* and the tab's in E minor*. (*Aeolian.)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

For a (low I hope) G whistle? Does the original say?
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Wow yes as everyone has pointed out the TAB does not match the written notes. You're looking at two different key signatures.

But seriously, it would be a basic courtesy to post the thing facing the right way. It's annoying to have to try to read it sideways
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

PB+J wrote:Wow yes as everyone has pointed out the TAB does not match the written notes. You're looking at two different key signatures.

But seriously, it would be a basic courtesy to post the thing facing the right way. It's annoying to have to try to read it sideways

Tilting my Mac Book sideways didn't help because I can't read music. But I had to do it anyway. :D
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's annoying to have to try to read it sideways
Save image, rotate. :poke:
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
It's annoying to have to try to read it sideways
Save image, rotate. :poke:

yeah, i know how to do that. Notice the part where I mentioned courtesy to the people you are asking a favor of?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Notice the part where I mentioned courtesy to the people you are asking a favor of?
I did. But not everybody knows how to work things on the interwebs. It's just as easy to make a case for extending the courtesy of allowing for that and not have a go, Especially when the problem is easily dealt with. Wrong side of the bed day, we allow for those as well, sometimes. We all have them, after all.
My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Notice the part where I mentioned courtesy to the people you are asking a favor of?
I did. But not everybody knows how to work things on the interwebs. It's just as easy to make a case for extending the courtesy of allowing for that and not have a go, Especially when the problem is easily dealt with. Wrong side of the bed day, we allow for those as well, sometimes. We all have them, after all.
Image56108135454__58B6D7C7-D09A-498E-9D8E-67626D5E38D7 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr

Appologies folks. Not trying to piss in everybody's mints. I'll try to find proper music to play this (terrible?) tune on my high D.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Storm in a teacup.

And it doesn't matter what key you play a tune in. As long as the people you're playing with do the same, ofcourse.

Last night for example I had a notion of playing the second Matt Peoples reel a tone down. Lovely. And I just realised the first part, when played that way, is very close to the first part of The West Clare Railroad. I wonder if Junior knew, when he composed the latter. But never mind, carry on.
My brain hurts

StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I'm surprised to see that the tablature has a little down arrow to indicate the first octave. I would have expected an up arrow for the second, but there you go.

Pat, the tune is easier in Em (as per the tablature on your photo) because you don't have to deal with half-holing the F naturals. But the first part comes out sounding higher than the second, which is not so great.

So I think it would be better for you to learn it in Am as shown in the dots, not the tab. Good practice to get used to playing F-naturals. Perhaps some kind soul on here can produce the tune for you in Am whistle tablature?

BTW it will be nice and easy for your friend to play it in Am on his B/C box. But the best key for it on that system would be Dm, low and growly, and even easier. (You'd need a low A whistle to play along with him in that key, using the Am fingering I am proposing that you learn, if you see what I mean.)

It's a gimmicky tune all right, but no harm in learning it and playing it until you get tired of it. :)
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

BTW, as to it being "terribly difficult" on the whistle in Am, the only real difficulty goes away if you try this trick.

In the second bar, once you have established your F-natural on the long first note by half holing, thus (v indicating the half-covered hole):

[| xxx xvo]

then leave the first and second fingers of your bottom hand where they are while you play the remainder of the bar. This gets rid of the difficulty of hitting the F-natural accurately in the "pedal" bits.

Keeping those fingers down will make your A and your C-natural slightly flat, but you will probably find it's a reasonable price to pay for making the tune relatively easy instead of terribly difficult.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

[quote="Mr.Gumby"]Storm in a teacup.

And it doesn't matter what key you play a tune in. As long as the people you're playing with do the same, ofcourse.

Good point. I should find out what key he is learning it in.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

StevieJ wrote:BTW, as to it being "terribly difficult" on the whistle in Am, the only real difficulty goes away if you try this trick.

In the second bar, once you have established your F-natural on the long first note by half holing, thus (v indicating the half-covered hole):

[| xxx xvo]

then leave the first and second fingers of your bottom hand where they are while you play the remainder of the bar. This gets rid of the difficulty of hitting the F-natural accurately in the "pedal" bits.

Keeping those fingers down will make your A and your C-natural slightly flat, but you will probably find it's a reasonable price to pay for making the tune relatively easy instead of terribly difficult.
Very helpful!! I'll give that a go. Just curious (like a new born baby) what constitutes a gimmicky tune? I actually don't know. Hah This particular one was suggested and I proceeded to listen to it.