It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 pm 

Yet another newbie with a whistle-buying question. I want a starter, tunable low D that's tough and inexpensive so I can travel with it and leave in my car in Tucson without fear. Read a lot on the forums about the Tony Dixon as good starter whistles. The two-piece is definitely affordable but the three piece, at twice the price, looks easier to transport. My concern is the cork--how resilient is that? If I leave it in my car, am I going to have a dried out mess? (I've put two new corks in my Boehm flute in less than two years out here). Also saw the Goldfinch mentioned which is also an affordable three-piece but haven't seen as many reviews (and frankly the white doesn't look as nice). Any thoughts? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:03 am 

Where have you seen a three-piece Tony Dixon Low Whistle?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:56 am 

It's sold as a flute but you can buy a whistle head for it I believe?

https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/products/dx030/d

It was actually on sale as a four piece kit at one time with both flute and whistle heads.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 am 

I don’t have a three piece, but according to discussions I’ve been in I’v heard that it is a sweeter whistle than the two piece. The second octave is easier to play but the first octave is quieter (some say weak, but to those who prefer a gentler whistle it’s a good thing). I believe it is a result of the more pronounced bore taper of the three piece compared to the 2 piece. The end of the 3 piece tapers to a narrow end at the bell side.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:56 am 

I tried one in the Musicroom in Cleckheaton years ago, from memory they are beautifully made, machined from Acetal rod rather than a ABS extrusion, they taper at both ends, small holes for a Low D (around the same size as a Gen Bb) and very quiet as the chap above states.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 pm 

Am also interested in the 2 and 3 piece Dixon low D's. Anybody have a 3 piece...would love to see a full review - are the holes closer than the 2 piece for smaller hand players? Thanks - Tod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 am 

toddyboy50 wrote:
Am also interested in the 2 and 3 piece Dixon low D's. Anybody have a 3 piece...would love to see a full review - are the holes closer than the 2 piece for smaller hand players? Thanks - Tod

Go back a couple of posts and look at the link I posted for a picture of the three piece.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:35 am 

Email me if you're looking for a 3 piece. I have one lying around. kral "dot" ron "at" gmail "dot" com.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:40 pm 

Just read the start post -- I'd be careful about leaving a plastic whistle in a car. It might warp out of shape. Better get an alloy one. And non-tunable is fine. Never had a problem with tuning on any of my whistles as soon as they are warmed up. The Chieftain V5 is awesome and affordable. One of my favorites. A Shearwater is also nice and cheap but takes a little bit more breath.
http://kerrywhistles.com/product/chieft ... xed-low-d/
http://www.shearwaterwhistles.com/enter/4594264411
Those are probably two of the most afforable low Ds made from aluminum. The Shearwater has a plastic fipple block however while the V5 is completely made of metal.