CP: Grey Larsen demonstrating several Carbony whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greylarsen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP: Grey Larsen demonstrating several Carbony whistles

Post by greylarsen »

I have just posted five videos in which I demonstrate some of the Carbony carbon fiber whistles. Along with my lovely old Copelands, these whistles are my new favorites. You’ll find the videos, in which I play the Irish jig “The Humours of Glynn,” on the pages here https://greylarsen.com/shop/product-cat ... ywhistles/ as well as on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcjQf9V3U75YsMfvMEGQMOg.

Rob Gándara, the maker of these whistles, consulted with Michael Copeland when he was designing his instruments, and he has captured some wonderful Copeland qualities in his conical bore whistles. I find the intonation to be superb, and the response to finger articulations is extremely fast. Cranns seem easier to play on these whistles. They’re also are very lightweight and pretty much indestructible. Tunable of course.

I’m interested to hear of other’s experiences with these Carbonies.
dogmother
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Videos of Grey Larsen demonstrating several Carbony whis

Post by dogmother »

Thank you SO MUCH for posting these videos!
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

You are most welcome! I'm very glad that you're finding them useful.
dogmother
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dogmother »

I own a high D and D (ergonomic/small hand) flute from Carbony. I had been wondering about the "quiet" high D. Thanks for the great comparison videos. I just ordered one from your website :)
-Diane
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

I'm very glad these comparison videos are proving so useful. In making them, I was very careful to make sure that the audio settings were identical with each video, making the comparisons quite reliable. I also chose to play the same tune on each whistle video, for the same reason.

Thank you so much for ordering your new whistle from my website! This helps to support my continued work developing new Irish flute and tin whistle books and materials.

Here's the Carbony whistle page at my website: https://greylarsen.com/shop/product-cat ... ywhistles/
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Perhaps the "CP:" might be in order for this and other similar postings... No objections to the content, just questioning the labeling (or lack thereof).

Just sayin'

Steve

[On Grey's behalf, and per his assent, this has now been done. - Mod]
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just sayin'
:thumbsup: Hear hear.
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steve Bliven wrote:Perhaps the "CP:" might be in order for this and other similar postings... No objections to the content, just questioning the labeling (or lack thereof).

Just sayin'

Steve
I agree. Grey posts so rarely though, only once a year lately, and less frequently previously, so I'm willing to give him a pass. Maybe because he mastered volumes 2 & 3 of Wooden Flute Obsession :lol: and is such a great guy. Guess he is just not up on the forum etiquette. They are essentially the same messages he sends out to other forums, boards & via email, and he forgets to mark them properly. The moderators can just fix it and/or chide him.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I don't doubt they're good whistles, but I don't see the value in carbon fiber. The primary virtue in carbon fiber is strength to weight ratio, so it makes some sense for, say, the top and back and sides of a guitar. It's more durable and less weather-responsive while remaining thin and light.

But I'm not sure it confers much advantage in a whistle. Tubes are inherently strong; a PVC whistle is extremely hard to do any damage to and is extremely light, and for that matter a brass whistle isn't exactly heavy. I suppose with a low whistle it might be an advantage over aluminum, but aluminum is pretty light and I'd have to work pretty hard to damage any of my aluminum low whistles.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

PB+J wrote:I don't doubt they're good whistles, but I don't see the value in carbon fiber.
I'm guessing that you haven't had the pleasure of sitting on a whistle or having one roll of a table in a pub and meet the heel of a dancing boot.... :D

Best wishes.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

I want to apologize if anyone feels that my recent post has gone against the grain of C&F etiquette. A couple people have mentioned a "CP label." Does CP stand for commercial post? I have been looking for some method of labeling posts in this way, and so far have not found it. I have also read item 7 of the CCCP (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84192) and see no mention of the CP label, or instructions on how to label a post that is, in part, commercial. I would be grateful for elucidation on these matters. Thank you.
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

Regarding the use of carbon fiber as a whistle body material, I will report that I have had three occasions when my brass whistles have become dented in and needed repair. Metal whistles are certainly vulnerable to this, and of course wooden whistles are vulnerable to damage as well.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

CP: Re: Videos of Grey Larsen demonstrating several Carbony

Post by kkrell »

greylarsen wrote:I want to apologize if anyone feels that my recent post has gone against the grain of C&F etiquette. A couple people have mentioned a "CP label." Does CP stand for commercial post? I have been looking for some method of labeling posts in this way, and so far have not found it. I have also read item 7 of the CCCP (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84192) and see no mention of the CP label, or instructions on how to label a post that is, in part, commercial. I would be grateful for elucidation on these matters. Thank you.
By God, you've got us there. Apparently it never made it into the CCCP, and even the Used Instrument Exchange only references using an appropriate label (with colon) such as FS: (for sale), WTT: (Wanted to Trade), & etc. No CP:. I guess it has just been a convention that developed over time and a courtesy we've come to expect. Someone forgot to engrave it on the tablets before bringing them down the mountain :) .

As to edits, you're allowed to do that for a limited time only, and other changes require moderator intervention. Should you wish to edit your subject title, you'd probably have to use the ! and self-report your post with a note to the moderator with your request for changes. At 31 posts, we may ourselves be in violation of CCCP #3.

Note that I have edited the subject in my REPLY post, though (cut off due to length) and added CP: for my post.

In any case, thank you for your participation, thank you for the materials you produce, and thank you for the music you make available.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

Thank you for explaining this, and for adding the "CP:" to my subject heading. Now I see how it is done!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It's true that the heading intro "CP:" has up to now been treated as a convention of courtesy rather than a hard-and-fast rule. Preferring to be as hands-off as possible, we in Admin tend away from installing new rules except where events absolutely indicate their need. That said, on the basis of public opinion it would appear that this thread might actually have turned into one of those cases. While it wouldn't be a momentous change, nevertheless one is loath to add yet another rule to the list. The mods will discuss this, and we welcome further member input (via PM) to aid our decision.

In the meantime, I can change the OP's title to include "CP:" if Grey so chooses. Let me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: We've decided to point out this customary courtesy in CCCP #7.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician