Alba or MK Kelpie low F?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Alba or MK Kelpie low F?

Post by stiofan »

I've been playing a Goldie low D for awhile now, but am considering branching out to a low F. Although I'd love a Goldie F, I'm trying to keep my cost at around $160±. So, I'm looking at either the Alba low F or the MK Kelpie F in that price range. Any thoughts about these two F whistles?
Ketil

Re: Alba or MK Kelpie low F?

Post by Ketil »

I had a kelpie low F a couple of years back. I remember it as a very nice whistle. I sold it to finance another whistle and bought a Goldie low F later. That was as expected a fantastic whistle and I sold that one a couple of weeks ago. Seems I don't really need a low F :-)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I haven't owned an Alba mezzo F, but I have an Alba Low E, Low C, and Bass A.

I notice that the voicing can vary quite a bit from Alba to Alba, as opposed to (for example) Burkes which are amazingly consistent across the various sizes.

Likewise I've not owned an MK F but I've owned a half-dozen different MK Low D's and there were subtle differences between each. The MKs showed a much narrower range of variation than the Albas but I keep in mind that the Albas are all different sizes.

Which is to say that if you had several Alba F's and several MK F's in front of you there would be numerous different two-way comparisons.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Thanks, Ketil & Richard for your feedback, much appreciated. I think I'm going to go with the Alba, perhaps have a chat with Stacey O'Gorman beforehand. One thing I'll be interested in is whether or not the curved windway reduces clogging much/at all. As much as I adore Colin's whistles, it's always been something I've had to struggle with, even with warming up the whistle sufficiently and the good ol' toothpaste treatment (which I ought to do more often, I suppose). And although I don't foresee playing the low F in a group environment (sessions or otherwise), the tunable feature on the Alba vs. the untunable MK is worth considering.
cheers,
Stiofan
JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JoFo »

In my experience the curved windway helps prevent clogging. I had lots of problems with this with the Goldie I once had. But it hasn't been a problem with Albas and MKs.
I have neither tried Alba F nor MK F whistles, but I have owned A whistles by both makers. I felt the MK had a tendency to sound harsher on the second octave (upper) notes than the Alba. But that might not be the case with the MK F whistle.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

While I am not as much a fan of the MK Low D, I am fond of the F, and have played it in my band, for years. I have always liked its sound, and its playability. I can depend on it...

Below is a link to the MUSIC page of my band's website. The MK low F - tunable, not Kelpie - is used in the first selection at the top of the first column. It is heard at the beginning of the song as an effect - and has a bigger part at the end of the song.

Please note that the recording was simply a direct feed from our sound board, at a concert in August of 2017. The mix was for the live sound, and is certainly not studio quality.

http://rizzettastones.com/music.htm
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

Thanks for your thoughts on my F whistle query, Byll and JoFo. I'm now somewhat undecided, but have sent a note to Stacey O. and Misha about their respective F whistles. If only I could take a trip over to Scotland tomorrow to try them all out, and pick out the one that suits me best.
cheers,
stiofan
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

I know you can return the MK for a full refund and I'm pretty sure you can with Alba too. Why don't you buy both and send one back? All you can lose is postage for one of them. I have one of each (not Fs) and find them similar sounding whistles and both are good.
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

That's certainly a good suggestion, but alas not in my budget right now. I'm leaning toward the Alba, but waiting to hear back from Stacey O. for some info. Thanks for the positive comments about both whistle makers.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Byll wrote:While I am not as much a fan of the MK Low D, I am fond of the F, and have played it in my band, for years. I have always liked its sound, and its playability. I can depend on it...

Below is a link to the MUSIC page of my band's website. The MK low F - tunable, not Kelpie - is used in the first selection at the top of the first column. It is heard at the beginning of the song as an effect - and has a bigger part at the end of the song.

Please note that the recording was simply a direct feed from our sound board, at a concert in August of 2017. The mix was for the live sound, and is certainly not studio quality.

http://rizzettastones.com/music.htm

May I ask you, as an aside, what whistle is played in your recording of Queen of Argyll? It is particularly beautiful. Thanks!
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

MK every single day of the week.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

[quote=May I ask you, as an aside, what whistle is played in your recording of Queen of Argyll? It is particularly beautiful. Thanks![/quote]

Tyler: For high whistles - E, D, C, and Bb - I play Sindt whistles. The whistle in QUEEN OF ARGYLL is John's C. Thank you for your kind comment.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979