Aluminum body whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Irish_Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for advice and sources for players that are more experienced than I am. I can play basic makes of whistle with relative ease but am looking for something a bit higher in quality.

Aluminum body whistle

Post by Irish_Whistler »

What's the overall opinion on aluminium bodies for a whistle? Never owned one or heard one except a few notes. Thanks to anyone who replies. I am considering a Dixon tunable aluminium.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Aluminum body whistle

Post by kkrell »

I don't like them because the finish scratches incredibly easily, and aluminum also corrodes (oxidizes). Particularly fun inside the windway or a tuning slide.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

I have aluminum whistles by Bracker, Le Meur, Burke, Harper, and others. Never had a problem with any of them. In fact, they are some of my best whistles; nice tone, easy to play, low maintenance.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I do have a few. Normally the oxidized layer on top should protect the whistle. Aluminiumoxide (also used as sapphire-crystal for watches due to its scratch-resistance) is rather tough but only forms a very thin layer. However over time oxidization can also destroy the material. I don't think I own any of my whistles long enough for that to occur however. I recommend getting the Dixon DX204 if you have any doubts about the aluminium. Really great whistle but the brass makes it rather heavy. Not nearly as heavy as the low D version however :D .
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Aluminum doesn't scratch (or dent) nearly as easily as brass. Brass might not show it as readily, but it's way softer. Aluminum doesn't oxidize/corrode any more readily than brass, either. If your sweat is basic, that will cause a problem with aluminum, but if it's acidic it will cause a problem with brass.

As for my opinion on the relative merits, I don't like that aluminum feels so light. I like the weight of brass, or a more heavy-walled aluminum like Silkstone.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have a couple Low D aluminum whistles, an MK and a Kerry optima. They are very different despite both being made of aluminum. The Optima does scratch fairly easily. The MK is anodized and has a pretty tough finish.

I put "Neolube" and cork grease on the slide, works fine so far. Neolube is graphite powder in some sort of liquid suspension that evaporates quickly

Aluminum is a much better choice than brass for a large whistle, I think.

Put me in the camp that thinks the fipple and the column of air making the sound, not the material the tube is made from
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Isn't the tuning slide on the MK brass? And you're right--making a low D from brass, at least when the material has the same thickness, is not such a good idea. That's probably why they stopped making the Tony Dixon low D trad. It's incredibly heavy (over 300 gr). It can get quite uncomfy for the thumbs after a while. However when you use thin brass like the nickel-plated Howard low D it will work. But not everbody likes the "organ-pipe"-sound of the Howard.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I do most of my playing on Low Whistles and they're all aluminum.

I've owned some of them for several years and they're still as shiny as they were when new. (Or not so shiny; some come with a satin finish.)

They haven't got dull, or tarnished, or corroded. The interiors look like new also, no corrosion.

I think Low Whistle makers are more or less driven to using aluminum due to its weight.

For a while I had a "Chieftain Gold" (alas not made of gold, but solid brass) Low D and it was unacceptably heavy. My hands tired quickly, and I had to use a Bari Sax strap to support it.

With that Low D being so heavy, I don't want to think about how much my Low C would weigh, were it brass. And my three-foot-long Bass A in brass? It just isn't feasible.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Interesting, never thought about the weight difference, & I have only just got a Waltons high D, so can't really comment, but it doesn't sound much different to my ears, just a slight difference to my nickel & brass, whereas my ABS has a softer, slightly quieter sound.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tor

Post by Tor »

I have had two Impempe aluminium whistles for years. One I play, the other I don't. They both look like new.
I have a low D Burke as well, but it's fairly new. I don't expect any trouble with the aluminium, and sure there are none so far.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I like the look, sound, and feel of aluminum. My aluminum whistle collection is made by Anak Whistles of Korea. They combine hardwood heads with satin aluminum bodies. They are beautiful, medium volume instruments with no clogging issues. Some people have said aluminum heads could clog easily. Some aluminum whistles are thinner and are very light, while others have more heft. Some are glossy, some have a satin finish. I prefer satin finish. Brass is heavy, too heavy for my liking beyond the high D, except for Jerry Freeman's Bb, A and G, which are light, handy, beautiful instruments. Brass takes on a a patina quickly that I
like. Aluminum stays looking fresh for a long time.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have Tony Dixon Trad A & G altos in brass, but I wouldn't consider them heavy either. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.