Micho Russell in Scotland 1985 - 2 slides on whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Micho Russell in Scotland 1985 - 2 slides on whistle

Post by kenny »

AUDIO ONLY : https://youtu.be/ecTMcWh9GBw

Micho Russell came to Scotland in 1985 to play at a concert in Forfar, near Dundee. I made a few recordings at that concert. Here is the first, of Micho playing 2 slides on whistle, the first usually known as "Micho Russell's", and the second, "Patsy Geary's", made famous by "The Bothy Band".
There is an accompanying photo taken at the end of the concert, showing Micho on stage with musicians who travelled from Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow to hear him. As well as Micho, 2 of the other musicians in the photo are no longer with us - all 3 are much missed.
RIP, Micho, Jimmy McHugh [Glasgow ], standing, playing fiddle, and Peter Forbes [ Dundee ], playing uilleann pipes.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Micho Russell in Scotland 1985 - 2 slides on whistle

Post by PB+J »

Thank you for posting that--I've been studying Micho very closely and that's great to hear.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

This is a real treat. Thanks for the post!
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Micho Russell in Scotland 1985

Post by kenny »

https://youtu.be/mpwZbI8y7tM

From the same concert : an air Micho Called "Dark Lochnagar".

As far as I know, there is no musical connection between this and the Scottish song of the same name, nor the Irish slow air, famously recorded on uilleann pipes by Liam O'Flynn [ and probably others ].
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

[ and probably others ]
Willie owned that one, pretty much : here. JOBM, as well.
My brain hurts