Micho Russell Book

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Micho Russell Book

Post by PB+J »

I understand the phrase is “giving out.”
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I understand the phrase is “giving out.”
Yes?

As I said:
Isn't it great reaching an age where you can give out like this ? :P
Alternatively you can go sit in the Piper's Chair, look at the ocean and howl at the moon. But a spate of giving out on the internet is handy, quick release. :moreevil:

My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It took me a few days to bring up the link (one of the access pages at Clare library is down for some reason so I had to get there in a roundabout way) but there's a biblio/discography at the Clare Library site, by forum member Steve Bliven (sparked by one of the many earlier discussions here) : Micho Russell – a bibliography and discography. Eddie Stack's 'Doolin : people, place & culture' which was published after the bibliography was put together is a nice read as well, giving the Russels a bit of context of time and place, with some lovely old photographs.

[Edit/Add:]
It took me a few days to bring up the link (one of the access pages at Clare library is down for some reason
I have spoken to the staff officer at the library: the server holding the music and photo collection has reached the end of its lifespan, the hard drives have been saved and the library is looking for another server to host the material. The discography and Micho's dozen are hosted on another server so those are still available.
My brain hurts

Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

"At some point he mentioned giving tapes to developing players and how it was an acknowledgement they were ready to absorb the material, an encouragement in itself. It's the living hand of the tradition. It's a particular ethos. Just shoving it all out on the internet devalues that."

I get that. It applies to more fields than music. I'm a cabinetmaker for example, and have taught that. Along the lines of, when you are ready for a teacher, one will appear. Nothing mystical, that's how stuff got handed down. You don't hand it down to fools. You find the right people.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia