Features liked for whistle storage

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Features liked for whistle storage

Post by Squeakie »

After reading several comments about ventilation, I’m taking that to heart. I do run a recorder swab up the barrel when I’m done, but obviously not into the mouthpiece area, that just has to dry on it’s own. Moldy mouthpiece, yuck.

https://www.amazon.com/MEEDEN-Brushes-Z ... ?pldnSite=
I’m tentatively looking at this case, though it’s a couple inches longer than needed, but has some really good ventilation. I posted a question asking about the diameter the slots will accommodate, because I can’t see a purpose for it if it doesn’t work, I’m not a painter. I’d rather not have to bother with sending it back.
I’m assuming as it’s 5.2 inches wide closed, each slot is about an inch across, and also seems to pooch out, they aren’t flat, so it might work and be a decent travel case for about five whistles, if you put three in every other slot on one side, and two on the other, spaced to fit the spaces between the other three, if that makes any sense.
Anyhow, anyone interested, take a look and see if you think it’s got good possibilities.
Lisa
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Interesting idea, I don't think you would be able to fit a Bb though, mine are 15" long, but for C, D, Eb, F, G, it looks like it might work. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

I was at Menards yesterday, which is like Lowe’s or Home Depot, a giant hardware store. I was wandering around, looking for ideas, and came across some trays to hold sockets. It was less than eight dollars.
I used large diameter straws, the kind from McDonald’s or other fast food places, to slide over the shorter pegs in the front row to make them long enough to support a whistle, normal straws are too narrow except for the five or so skinniest pegs. I’m going to get a piece of felt and use a paper puncher to make holes for the posts, to give it a neater look. I actually put straws over the longer pegs, too, to extend them and keep the whistles more straight and upright.
The holder is on a couple pieces of foam to raise it up a little, but I might change that later to accommodate a Bb or low whistle. It fits nicely in the upper section of a small cabinet made for my biological mother back in 1940 by her brother in high school wood shop class. I’m so pleased it’s working out as a nice whistle cabinet.
Anyhow, it’s cheap and works well. I hope others find this hack useful.
Lisa
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

And my other hack.
This is an electrode tube, or welding stick tube. The description says it can hold sticks up to 14 inches in length, but it’s closer to 15” inside, to give a little headspace so the sticks don’t rub I suppose. These tubes are also available to hold 18 inch sticks. They are watertight and fairly sturdy, not as thick as pvc pipe, but not as heavy, either. One could easily drill holes in it for ventilation. The 14” ones are usually under 15 dollars, with the 18” ones around twenty. I got mine from amazon. It’s called a Safetube, and is a thicker plastic than the tubes for sale locally. I also like that it’s square and can’t roll away, some electrode tubes are round. I also got the Velcro harness for it, with a cap strap so I have a nice carrying handle. I’ve got thirteen whistles rolled up in a thin kitchen towel as an example. In use, i’d have enough towel to fold over the mouthpieces to protect them, but this is to show that a D whistle fits completely in the body of the tube. The C sticks out a bit, about a 1/2”. The tube is 12.5” and the cap gives another 2.5” of height, and it’s 4” x 4” square. Overall, it’s around 15”
So another hardware store hack for a very sturdy travel carrier for whistles.
Lisa