Less Chiffy, Solid Second Octave

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Less Chiffy, Solid Second Octave

Post by Squeakie »

I have a Blackbird by Freeman that I like quite a bit. It’s excellent sounding, very clear and birdlike, and not shrill in the upper octave notes, it doesn’t make me wince like some of my whistles do. It’s a bit tricky on the lowest notes, needing very little air, bit it’s worth the effort to learn the control needed, something which should be learned anyhow.
The other whistles I have which are more pure sounding, without that initial harmonic at the beginning of the note is some hybrid. One has a mouthpiece with Mack 1188 etched into it on a brass Feadog barrel, and another is a Freeman tweaked one that doesn’t have any sticker other than the Freeman one. It’s very similar to my Soodlum Mellow D and Walton Mellow D, so maybe it’s a mellow dog? Anyhow, it’s a very solid player, quite smooth sounding.
I think the best upper octave goes to the Blackbird. It’s very effortless and sweet.
Lisa
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

I too agree that the Freeman Blackbird would be the one with least breath requirement, less 'chiffy'/more sweet pure, and a a great second octave without getting squeaky. The brass Dixon is lovely, but quite chiffy with a sort of 'hollow metal' tone (which I find real nice).
The Freeman Mellow Dog is another that has a little less chiff and a strong 2nd oct, and doesn't require forceful air at all. The Blackbird sounds a little sweeter like birgsong, than the Mellowdog, which is a little 'rounder' in tone.

Personally, i define 'chiffy' as kind of like when you say "shh shh shh" instead of "sss sss sss". :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Chiff is when you say, "Chiff," instead of, "iff."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:Chiff is when you say, "Chiff," instead of, "iff."
Like.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

To me that seems more like the tongue-ing effect though.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers