TWJCalc

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

TWJCalc

Post by DrPhill »

Hi all,

I have been having some technical difficulties with SourceForge who host some of my projects including TWJCalc.
As a safeguard I have created a git repo for the source on BitBucket.
From now on I am considering the sourceforge version as history, and the BitBucket version as current (even though they are identical at the moment).
At some time in the future the sourceforge hosting may stop working - I do not monitor it and would never know.

The latest jar file can be accessed from my web page .

I am not sure if TWJCalc is still useful, but it costs me little to maintain access to to it.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Matt NQ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm new to whistling, been reading the forum for a while, and would like to start getting more involved.

Re: TWJCalc

Post by Matt NQ »

Hi Dr Phill, as someone starting out in whistle making I'm grateful that resources such as yours are there. I keenly anticipate your development of a tapered bore option in TWJCalc!
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Matt NQ wrote:Hi Dr Phill, as someone starting out in whistle making I'm grateful that resources such as yours are there. I keenly anticipate your development of a tapered bore option in TWJCalc!
I am glad it is of use. I really only ported an existing algorithm to Java and wrote a GUI around it. Daniel Binghamon allowed me to copy his algorithm. If someone has a similar algorithm that copes with tapered bore then I am happy to do the same. The cost of the resulting program may be as much as ten times the cost of the current one though.......
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Crawforde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Scottish and ITM.
My main instrument is the harmonica, but I just ordered a whistle to start that too.

Post by Crawforde »

Thank you!
Between this, and Bracker’s site I now have more whistles than I know tunes.
I have a tweaked Clarke original D, and a Chieftain F.
I have attempted to build a few in various materials and bore depths playing with the algorithms and seeing what I can do. I’ve made a terrible low D, and a nice one. The same with Bb, and a G that I really like. I have also attempted to use the models to make Quena. But that comes out a bit odd and to get reasonably close the window dimensions need serious tweaking. I tried to correct by making and back calculating, but nothing I have tried yet works all that well. It might be better if I could be consistent with the embochure. The low D I made sounds great, but then 5 minutes later nothing but lots of air and some squeaking.
Anyway I’m really enjoying playing with your calculator and often get distracted while on conference calls trying to model my next whistle!