Hello again!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hello again!

Post by Squeakie »

Hi everyone,
I asked a question or two a number of years ago, and kind of faded away. I played clarinet years ago in school, and wanted to get back into that. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to really develop my chops enough to get into it the way I thought I would to play in community band , plus I just never enjoyed "just playing" the clarinet. I went back to what I really enjoy, and that's Basically keyless wind instruments. I have a pretty healthy collection of recorders, Native American style flutes, and whistles.
I kind of forgot about this forum until I wanted to try and improve my favorite whistle, a D Clare. I read many posts and did the putty tweak and it's much easier to reach the highs notes without making my dogs howl, a little quieter, and is very in tune with a tuner.
Anyhow, I enjoy reading the posts here, and will be making some carrying tubes for my favorite instruments based on some advice I read here.
This isn't my whole collection, just my favorites, the Clare being "My Precious"
The Mel Bay is pretty close to my Clare, but more bell like and cleaner. Of course, I enjoy them all, it's just that the Clare has the husky, sweet voice of too much whiskey and cigarettes that I prefer, it was great before I tweaked it.
I've got a pre80's Gen Bb nickel floating around somewhere, too.
Best Regards, Lisa
Crawforde
Tell us something.: I am interested in Scottish and ITM.
My main instrument is the harmonica, but I just ordered a whistle to start that too.

Re: Hello again!

Post by Crawforde »

Welcome back!
Sounds like your having fun
I’m just getting bit by the whistle bug and have found lots of great info here.
I miss the UP and the big lake.
flootoot

Post by flootoot »

Welcome back! I’ve been a member of this forum for a number of years — many of them inactive, sad to say. But I’ve recently found the time in the midst of job change to get back into learning the whistle. Like you, I also play NAF, and I suffer dreadfully from both FAD and WAD. This is a great place to exchange info regarding the Irish whistle. One of the best whistles I own is a Freeman tweaked Generation in Bb. My faves, though, are my two Airgead Realtas, one in D, the other in low G.
I like the tone of my Feadog, but it wets out REALLY quickly and becomes virtually unplayable.

NAF-wise, I have two Odell Borgs, two Ed Doughertys, two John Stillwells, and an Ed Hrebec (among some others). One of the Doughertys is a custom ebony with yellow heart end cap and an ebony/bloodwood bird.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Welcome back aboard, from a relative newbie. :)

I came hear looking for flute info, & just got caught up with whistles as well. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.