Bass Dreams

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bass Dreams

Post by Doc Jones »

About a year ago Talbert St. Claire contacted me about a Low A whistle I had. It was a whistle he'd owned previously and he was looking for a Low A for a project he was working on. I told him he was welcome to use the whistle for as long as he needed it.

As a result of this loan, Talbert was nice enough to send me a copy of the album he produced, a two CD set which he titled Bass Dreams.

I've never reviewed an album before and don't really have any credentials to make my opinion worth more than anyone else's. I also have no financial interest in the project but I wanted to give Talbert some props for putting this collection together.

Talbert put together a remarkable set of musicians for this project and features them liberally throughout the albums not only in conjunction with own whistling but also with a number of solo tracts. Fiddler Natalie Padilla does a stellar job on fiddle and mandolin and Megan Yalkut plays sarod and harmonium on a number of tracts. Yeah...fiddle and sarod. Did I mention the album is eclectic and diverse? Talbert moves from meditative aboriginal themes with digeridoos or African drums, to Asian-inspired tunes paired with a sarod to "pure drop" irish classics in company with Natalie Padilla's fiddle. There is even some African Kora harp nicely played by Joshua Doughty. Talbert's playing is excellent. He manages these monster bass whistles with a nimbleness that belies their size and stretch.

Bass Dreams is well worth the listen. I like seeing the Irish whistle being used in other musical genres. As more cultures and genres adopt the instrument, more people will be inclined to explore its original roots and traditional Irish music will only be strengthened.

Anyway, give it a listen. I think you'll like it.

Doc Jones
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Bass Dreams

Post by Mikethebook »

You've done a good job of your review, Patrick, and I'm going to find it hard not to repeat what you've already said. For example:
Talbert's playing is excellent. He manages these monster bass whistles with a nimbleness that belies their size and stretch.
That struck me too. With the fluidity of Talbert's playing, I think my mind struggled to believe that such playing could be possible with anything lower than a Low D or C. But once that was out of the way I could settle down to appreciate the music.

It is, I believe, an extraordinary album both in the excellence of the musicianship (of Talbert and the supporting musicians) and in the wide diversity of tracks and styles which nevertheless seems to fit together remarkably well. This is Talbert's second album but I understand it will be his last. If so, what a way to go out! And without diluting the quality of the music, Talbert has produced a double CD that has three times as much music as many single CDs. You get a lot for your money. If you like low whistle music then get it.

I'll leave the last word to Patrick.
Give it a listen. I think you'll like it.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Looks like Talbert is set up to take orders on his site.

http://talbertstclaire.com/
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Victory52
Tell us something.: I enjoy playing blues on low whistle and other styles. Most music I listen to is jazz & rock but I enjoy low whistle. I own many Celtic based CD's.

Post by Victory52 »

Hi,

. The web-site @ talbertstclaire.com now has the "mp3 download feature" as a payment option. It is now in place for those interested.

. Talbert's Artwork has been updated to reflect the tunes on both albums.

http://talbertstclaire.com

Thank you
Mrs. Victoria St. Claire