Designing a wood into metal tuning slide

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
irishmuse
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Designing a wood into metal tuning slide

Post by irishmuse »

Me again Matt
For a discussion on bore size and measurements for production of the NAF see here (another great resource):

https://www.flutopedia.com/bore_diameter.htm

This company will sell you nice blanks ready-bored. Nice diagrams on the website showing you the general idea for DIY.

http://www.woodwindflutes.com/24-INCH-C ... _p_15.html

As to Queensland sources, I'm no Bunnings rep. but their 25mm aluminium tube at about $7/m gives acceptable low D/Eb low whistle bodies (PVC pipe even cheaper) to practice on or produce prototypes.They also have a 25mm hardwood dowel for about $3/m which I think is Kwila. Turned down and oiled up it makes good fipple plugs. At a pinch you can almost get a head or slide sleeve by boring with a Forstner bit, but I've never managed to stop the thin wall splitting so gave up. As I say, good practice material sources before you get down to the exotic woods. Enjoy your R&D weekend. Let us know how you get on?
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Matt NQ wrote:Irish Muse - Thanks, Wow! Totally left field ideas for me, really interesting. Will indeed check out those links. I like doing R&D! Would never have thought of splitting the whistle body down the middle to do the bore, but it makes so much sense from a making point of view. I can imagine contrasting timbers looking quite funky! I'll have to put that on my list to try. This really is a lot of fun.
Now, while we're talking left field, has anyone made square cross-section whistles? This should work and you can try out tapers by fabrication rather than evacuation. You don't even need a lathe. And they won't roll off the table in the pub.....

It doesn't work on the flute because of the spiral nature of the vacillating air column up near the top caused by blowing in from the side. But I know it works on the bassoon, because I once received a call from a chap wanting to make cheap bassoons for kids to learn on. The cheapest bassoon costs heaps. After he explained the problem, I said, "well of course it doesn't have to be round". There was a very long silence as he realised it solved every one of the problems he faced. A few weeks later he played the prototype over the phone to me. It sounded great.
irishmuse
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by irishmuse »

irishmuse wrote: Now, while we're talking left field, has anyone made square cross-section whistles?
Hi Terry. You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4-ndIBbzHI