W. A. S. Therapy.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
afl2277
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just starting out on the tin whistle journey and loving learning to play. Now at an advanced age, I still remember my recorder days from school and so, remembering where the notes are has given me a head start.

W. A. S. Therapy.

Post by afl2277 »

I've not had my lovely Sweetone long, and only got the Feadog last week...and now I keep looking at the Clarke original, the one with the ever so nice pattern on the front....such a pretty pattern...such a nice colour...gold. I love gold. My finger keeps hovering over the 'BuyNow' button and Im losing control. Not that I want another whistle. But it's the gold pattern you see, it's so nice isn't it. Gold.

HELP....my name is Ange and I have W.A.S... :o
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: W. A. S. Therapy.

Post by AaronFW »

The only thing that can help you is the Used Instrument Exchange Forum. I hear that once you drain your bank account and sell all the blood platelets you can manage to buy whistles, your WAS will go into submission.

(Though to be serious, I've finally satiated my Flute Acquisition Syndrome through buying the flute that checked all my boxes. Maybe a whistle can do the same?

Though unfortunately, I’ve started itching for some uilleann pipes.)
afl2277
Tell us something.: Just starting out on the tin whistle journey and loving learning to play. Now at an advanced age, I still remember my recorder days from school and so, remembering where the notes are has given me a head start.

Post by afl2277 »

AaronFW wrote:The only thing that can help you is the Used Instrument Exchange Forum. I hear that once you drain your bank account and sell all the blood platelets you can manage to buy whistles, your WAS will go into submission.

(Though to be serious, I've finally satiated my Flute Acquisition Syndrome through buying the flute that checked all my boxes. Maybe a whistle can do the same?

Though unfortunately, I’ve started itching for some uilleann pipes.)
I've heard the 'itch' is how it starts Aaron, so, you think you're cured but you're not. Get help now lad :thumbsup:

Exchange? Meaning I give one of my whistles away? Oooooohh no, no, no, no.

Progress report. overnight I have kept away from online whistle shops (only because I've been asleep) and my battle starts anew today.

Seriously, I could understand it if I were after a different key...but it would be another D. :-?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

It's a condition with no known cure, I'm afraid, once bitten............. :lol:

I've mentioned before, how I only came here to get flute info, but got drawn into buying whistles - I got a whole load of them for the price of just one of my little harmonicas.

I think what really got to me was that something so inexpensive could make good music - I used to have several recorders, but they just didn't do it for me - & the simplicity of only having those 6 holes, just intrigued me.

My collection, (for that's what it is really), is growing slowly, another 3 different ones are on their way - but it's a collection that you can play, not just look at. :wink:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
afl2277

Post by afl2277 »

fatmac wrote:It's a condition with no known cure, I'm afraid, once bitten............. :lol:

I've mentioned before, how I only came here to get flute info, but got drawn into buying whistles - I got a whole load of them for the price of just one of my little harmonicas.

I think what really got to me was that something so inexpensive could make good music - I used to have several recorders, but they just didn't do it for me - & the simplicity of only having those 6 holes, just intrigued me.

My collection, (for that's what it is really), is growing slowly, another 3 different ones are on their way - but it's a collection that you can play, not just look at. :wink:

So you've got it so bad you're buying 3 at a time. :D

I wonder why we can't be content with just one whistle?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

It's the modern day disease called consumerism..... :P

Manufacturers don't make it easy for us, they produce such a variety, that we just want to try them all. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Why feel guilty? Whistles are cheap! I probably have a dozen D whistles, some bought and some found lying around the house. I have an old generation D that I got when I was 13, and my grandfather took my brother and I on a trip to Ireland, and an old Waltons my parents brought back from a trip to ireland in the 1990s. Neither one is great, but the Generation has some very good points. I found a very old Feadog at a yard sale that sounded great right away.

You can "tweak" them some yourself. Because I'm a nerd I've done a lot of little experiments. The whistle sound varies significantly with really small changes in the shape of the fipple, the mouthpiece. In most cases putting some poster putty in the cavity under the mouthpiece makes a big difference. It just seems to make it more stable. And it seems to matter how much you fill the cavity. Just get some poster putty and make a little ball and push it into the cavity. Usually it sounds better, sometimes it sounds worse. You can always take it out

Also taking some very fine sandpaper and smoothing the airway helps a lot. I got 600 grit automotive sandpaper and cut it into strips, then ran it through the airway, looking for any irregularities or bits of flashing. I had a feadog that I just hated--it was unpleasant to play. It sounds pretty good now, with putty and windway smoothing.

I've said it before, but I would highly highly recommend either a "tweaked" whistle, modified to play more consistently, or a whistle made by somebody who is paying more individual attention. If you are learning the whistle it's hard to tell the difference between your bad (my) technique and the deficiencies of an injection molded whistle produced by machines with shaky quality control. Why make it harder on yourself?

I have a Clark Sweetone--it sounds good, but the ridge on the back is really annoying!
afl2277

Post by afl2277 »

PB+J wrote:
I have a Clark Sweetone--it sounds good, but the ridge on the back is really annoying!
I had a problem with the ridge initially. I seemed to be moving my thumb slightly and sometimes my thumb would be one side the ridge or the other, making the holes offset. I've stopped doing that now though :thumbsup: