It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:33 pm 

I primarily practice in my garage. It has really good acoustics for some reason and if the door is shut then it's fairly sound proof. On the other hand, if the bay door is open it acts like an amphitheater. So far my neighbors are cool with it. Otherwise I play in the car. I keep a whistle in every glove box.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:18 am 

One of the reasons I eventually decided to buy a house and not an apartment (the price difference wasn't much) was in order to not have to worry about the neighbours. Among other factors, but in the end the two points that tipped it: A little more space, and being able to practice or play whenever I wish (with wife and friends).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:27 am 

Sedi wrote:
I practice in the living room while my wife practices her accordion in the bedroom--there are 4 doors in between. Some songs we also play together after I bought her a songbook with Irish trad for accordion. Neighbors are no problem. Enough space between the houses and they have soundproof windows as they are both professional musicians and don't want to disturb anyone while playing--happy coincidence.

Im in a 1890s built cottage and the wall between my neighbour and myself are one single brick thick. I can hear her talking or the baby crying. I don't feel I can play at a normal level in the house. I envy people like yourself who can :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 am 

Polara Pat wrote:
I primarily practice in my garage. It has really good acoustics for some reason and if the door is shut then it's fairly sound proof. On the other hand, if the bay door is open it acts like an amphitheater. So far my neighbors are cool with it. Otherwise I play in the car. I keep a whistle in every glove box.

I had sat in my van on the drive....then discovered the old lady in a bungalow next to me isn't well and her bedroom window is near to my drive. So that's another good idea gone till she is better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:31 am 

Tor wrote:
One of the reasons I eventually decided to buy a house and not an apartment (the price difference wasn't much) was in order to not have to worry about the neighbours. Among other factors, but in the end the two points that tipped it: A little more space, and being able to practice or play whenever I wish (with wife and friends).

I've considered for a long time selling my house and having a detached bungalow built on my land. I've kept putting it off for various reasons...and now it might be playing the whistle that makes me do it :lol: