Running Before Walking.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
afl2277
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just starting out on the tin whistle journey and loving learning to play. Now at an advanced age, I still remember my recorder days from school and so, remembering where the notes are has given me a head start.

Running Before Walking.

Post by afl2277 »

You know that moment when enthusiasm overtakes reality? When a crazy idea becomes the most sensible thing in the world?

I've heard someone playing a whistle to backing music. A musician who can actually play properly. And somewhere in the depths of my silly mind I have decided it's a good idea to download my uninstalled music software to my ipad...uninstalled because I never used it...and make a backing noise of some description to play along with.

I'll no doubt get to the outer edge of frustration trying to create something to play along with, and then expect my lovely Clarke Sweetone to perform a miracle while it has the equivalent of an excitable child blowing into it.

But what else is enthusiasm and learning all about if not being adventurous? I think enthusiasm and excitement take us through the first part of learning, as we come up with new things to try.

Wish me luck :D
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Re: Running Before Walking.

Post by jimhanks »

You can do it. All it takes is a little sticktoitiveness. :thumbsup:
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hi. I like playing Blues backing tracks (on YouTube) to improvise on whistle. If you get a key of E Blues backing track, the D whistle works well and can play a similar role to the harmonica in Blues.

E Blues Scale: E G A Bb B D E

You have to half-hole the Bb, but that works well and sounds good on whistle if you slide in and out of the Bb, like a harmonica bending notes.

-Brett
afl2277
Tell us something.: Just starting out on the tin whistle journey and loving learning to play. Now at an advanced age, I still remember my recorder days from school and so, remembering where the notes are has given me a head start.

Post by afl2277 »

jimhanks wrote:You can do it. All it takes is a little sticktoitiveness. :thumbsup:

afl2277

Post by afl2277 »

Bretton wrote:Hi. I like playing Blues backing tracks (on YouTube) to improvise on whistle. If you get a key of E Blues backing track, the D whistle works well and can play a similar role to the harmonica in Blues.

E Blues Scale: E G A Bb B D E

You have to half-hole the Bb, but that works well and sounds good on whistle if you slide in and out of the Bb, like a harmonica bending notes.

-Brett
Thanks. I've found someone on YouTube who plays, and puts the music onscreen to play to. I'll be trying that out soon.

The blues thing sounds a good idea, something slower for my slower playing :thumbsup:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

It's all about having some fun whilst learning as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
afl2277

Post by afl2277 »

fatmac wrote:It's all about having some fun whilst learning as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:
It is, thats so true. The fun keeps it interesting instead of becoming a chore doesn't it :D