Toothpaste?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Toothpaste?

Post by Michael w6 »

On a post from some years ago the "toothpaste polish" was mentioned as a way to stop whistle clogging. What is this?
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Toothpaste?

Post by Tunborough »

There are a few descriptions of the process out there; this post covers the essentials: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93198&p=1108069#p1108069
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Toothpaste?

Post by brewerpaul »

I wouldn't use toothpaste. Many/most of them are abrasive. If any of it gets into a tuning slide it could really muck things up.
It helps clogging since it has surfactants in it which prevent little droplets of water from forming. A simple solution of a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid in a couple of ounces of water does the same thing,no abrasive. You can put it in a small bottle,eg an eyedrops bottle,and easily carry it with you to sessions.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!