Shearwater Bass

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Shearwater Bass

Post by Michael w6 »

Shearwater Bass. I have been considering purchasing a bass whistle from Shearwater Whistles. The post on the forum are some years old. Any more recent experiences?
rubenroks12

Re: Shearwater Bass

Post by rubenroks12 »

I'm very happy with mine! :D

I have a recent one, bought just this year; a bass A. It's the most affordable alloy bass A on the market.

It takes just a little more air than a low D. Likely less than you would expect. The finger stretch isn't too bad. I'm only 5'5", but I don't feel any strain. The thing you have to get used too is keeping it from slipping because of the weight. The holes are also pretty big, so it helps if you have sausage fingers like me.

The tone is mellow and quiet. Not too quiet, but it would likely get drowned out in a session. It is fantastic for solo playing and amplified performances. Here's a video of it on youtube: https://youtu.be/sUeYZEqqbME
whistlecollector

Re: Shearwater Bass

Post by whistlecollector »

I have one of their basses in GG. Nice, warm tone; as Ruben says, doesn't take a whole lot of air. Shearwater are nice to work with, too, as GG is a bespoke instrument. I'm very well pleased with them and the quality of the instrument!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373