Help in identifying this instrument

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jimjen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: acquired a strange instrument - want to know more about it - it has a side air channel like an overtone flute but has 9 holes

Help in identifying this instrument

Post by jimjen »

I bought this flute in North America some years ago.

It is bamboo(ish) , 48 cm long and has the parallel air tube similar to those on large overtone flutes - that is you blow into the small tube and the air is directed to the large tube fipple. But it is much shorter than the flutes that need a separate air tube because of their size

It has 9 holes that are physically impossible to stop all together - 5 in line along the usual top then 2 at each side towards the far end - but not opposite each other. the open end is a small hole the same size as the finger holes

If it wasn't for the side holes I might guess it was a toy or souvenir - and it has quite a nice tone.

I wonder if the far end holes have to be stopped by pegs

https://ibb.co/hT7jt9
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Help in identifying this instrument

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

That appears to be a Slovakian Fujara which is an overtone flute. The two bottom holes are most likely used for tuning the instrument and not covered.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

Wow! I just "googled" it and there are some interesting videos out there! BTW, the bottom holes are not covered when in use - they basically add a little length to the instrument. Lots of keyless flutes are made this way as well (including my Garry Somers in delrin).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jimjen
Tell us something.: acquired a strange instrument - want to know more about it - it has a side air channel like an overtone flute but has 9 holes

Post by jimjen »

Yes I've seen the large fujaras - BUT that's why I said that my instrument is only 48cm long , only 1/3 or 1/4 the size of the slovakian fujara - and far too short to need the parallel air pipe if used as a kind of fujara - also many more holes , even if the lower four are fine tuners and only the top five are played
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

I think it is a bass flute, the South American moseño. Though yours has more ornamentation on the outside than I normally see.
jimjen

Post by jimjen »

Thanks AaronFW - that seems to be it. That led me to some links of makers/stockists - I will write and try to find out about the unusual hole pattern.