Tips for oiling wooden whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joeryan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Tips for oiling wooden whistles

Post by joeryan »

Hello all - I recently picked up a wooden whistle. Any tips on how to oil -- especially the inside. Thanks and best, Joe
BairdM3
Tell us something.: I’m a relatively new whistle player and wanted to expand my knowledge base and learn more about ITM/Celtic music.

Re: Tips for oiling wooden whistles

Post by BairdM3 »

I use two separate bore brushes used for rifles- the cotton ones, not the wire ones (obviously). I put a very small amount of oil (I use a fretboard conditioner for guitars) on one brush and then use the second to wipe out any excess. You don’t want to use much at all- too much oil can have negative impacts especially near fittings (same as a guitar with frets). And you don’t need to do it that often- of course that depends on your environment (dry vs humid, summer vs winter).

If I’ve given bad advice- please advise!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It depends on the wooden whistle. If you know who the maker is, find the maker's instructions. I've owned most of them, so if you can't find out and you're comfortable sharing whose it is, let us know.

I recommend a small piece of silk or lint-free cloth run through a recorder swab or a sawn/split end of a chopstick with almond oil treated with a little vitamin E to keep it from oxidizing. If it's blackwood or other high-oil wood, don't overdo it. If it's boxwood, purpleheart, or something like that, every 1-6 months depending on how old/dry it is.

Some wooden whistles have been treated so that they don't need oiling, and the oil just gunks them up. As I said, it depends on the whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Don't use huge amounts of oil. You only need a thin film.Do your oiling when the whistle is completely dry, not right after playing. Don't oil the windway, and don't oil the blade very much at all. After oiling, be sure to wipe ALL oil off of the mating surfaces of tuning slides. The oil can attract and accumulate dust which can gunk up or even freeze up tuning slides.
You really don't have to oil wooden whistles very often at all. As you might imagine I,as a maker, have quite a few and I oil them VERY rarely.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

CHris Abell's whistle care (2nd section of page):

https://www.abellflute.com/careandmaintenance
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org