Repaired and Engraved Copeland Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Repaired and Engraved Copeland Whistle

Post by ytliek »

I spent a minute searching and found a couple old thread discussions. I had just joined C&F and remembered Denny posting the one of a kind engraved whistle. I do love the engraving and as I've said above engraving on museum pieces or for collectors/investors may be a matter of taste. There were pics that definitely got lost. I loved the discussions though! Missing them folks too.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87348&hilit=engrave ... er+whistle

Denny's reference:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2765

I found a couple more images from that same sterling silver D already posted:

Imagefree photo uploading

Imageforum picture hosting
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

fatmac wrote:
I don't see why there is any fuss about the engraving...

If you have one, you too can have it engraved - or not.

If it will put you off from buying it, then don't buy it.
It was discussed because Casey asked us to discuss it:

" I'm more interested in what people think about the engraving."

That whistle with the elegant hand-engraving winding its way around the finger-holes is beautiful.

I too have been following Casey's progress with his machine engraving and while it produces many beautiful patterns I'm just not much of a fan of machine engraving.

I think it's because I come from the Highland piping world where the mark of the finest bagpipes has been elegant hand engraving, at least since the mid-19th century.

CNC engraving has boomed in the Highland pipemaking world over the last 20 years or so, and many pipers hate it, while many other pipers think it looks fine. But for sure a strong preference exists for hand engraving.

I don't care for that particular pattern, and it took me a minute or two to figure out why: it resembles the braided hoses used on appliances and vehicles:

https://www.flexfithose.com/braided-sta ... processes/
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Hah, maybe I didn't word it right...... ;)

I was just meaning that if you want engraving, have engraving, if not then don't worry about it. :)

I agree, it does look a bit like those armoured hoses. :D

Each to their own, it's all good. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Perhaps if we saw sample engravings on Generations, Feadógs, Clarkes, etc., some people might be inclined to obtain. Decorated whistles are around in the whistle world, and remember the BoHo Generation whistle? I didn't care for the whistle but enjoyed the decoration on a less expensive whistle.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Just to be clear Richard: "Engine Turning" is a hand operated technique and is a lot different than CNC or Pantograph engraving, such as is used in the Trophy Industry. Its actually a technique used to decorate plain metal surfaces that evolved in the late 1500s as far as well can tell from pictures. Faberge used it to form the backgrounds in his eggs and its use in watches is widespread. I've seen Rudall and Rose flutes, as well as flutes by other makers that incorporate this type of engraving on the metal fittings as well. The machinery is entirely analog, motorless, and is entirely controlled by the human hand including the design considerations, etc.

I might go ahead and engrave a Generation C whistle this week if I have time. Leaving Thursday for Lark Camp and I'll be mostly offline here until the 12th.

Casey