Jambalaya

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Jambalaya

Post by DrPhill »

I was recently reminded of Jambalay by The Carpenters.

The flute produces a lovely lively solo (about 1:10) - has anyone here managed that on a whistle? Is it even possible?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
piperjoe

Re: Jambalaya

Post by piperjoe »

DrPhill wrote:I was recently reminded of Jambalay by The Carpenters.

The flute produces a lovely lively solo (about 1:10) - has anyone here managed that on a whistle? Is it even possible?
The flutist is Bob Messenger...great bassist (!) and tenor player too! Not to mention all round good-guy. :thumbsup:

Piper Joe
Blower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

piperjoe wrote:
DrPhill wrote:I was recently reminded of Jambalay by The Carpenters.

The flutist is Bob Messenger...great bassist (!) and tenor player too! Not to mention all round good-guy. :thumbsup:

Piper Joe
I'm having trouble believing that the tune he's fingering is the same as the one he's playing!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Blower wrote:I'm having trouble believing that the tune he's fingering is the same as the one he's playing!
Good eye, because it ain't. It's an over-dub. I didn't bother reading the fingers (and Boehm fingering makes it even more difficult for me), so I can't tell you what he IS playing, but look closely enough and you can tell there's no relationship whatsoever between what you hear and what you see.
DrPhill wrote: - has anyone here managed that on a whistle? Is it even possible?
You'd have to have mad skillz at half-holing. I've known a couple of pretty amazing whistlers who could probably do it with a little woodshedding, so practice up!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote:You'd have to have mad skillz at half-holing. I've known a couple of pretty amazing whistlers who could probably do it with a little woodshedding, so practice up!
Thanks for confirming the difficulty.... I will save that one for a winter day when I have the house to myself......
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
augurforever

Post by augurforever »

Not a big deal - G major, i hear just one F before F# - easy to play with half hole - and high E,D, and C#, should be no problem with a good whistle
GeneClarke
Tell us something.: I have been following all your forums for several years, and decided I would like to join. I am a retired music teacher who mainly plays woodwinds and piano; I’ve been collecting and playing Irish whistles for several years and recently began taking lessons on the Great Highland Bagpipes.

Post by GeneClarke »

If my memory serves correctly, a transcription of the solo appeared in Down Beat magazine not long after the album came out. Also, it seems like Tom Scott played the solo on the recording - on an E-flat soprano (Boehm) flute. There was a sort of fad among West Coast studio musicians for the E-flat flute back in the 1970’s.