It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:42 am 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
As a service to members, we are drawing your attention to the actions, as far as we know them, of a recent member of this site, now deactivated, who went by the username Cholbroo17, registered with us under the email address: piperholbrook@sbcglobal.net, an email address used on other websites by Chris Holbrook.

Within the last week as I write (10th July 2018) Cholbroo17 posted two for sale notices in the Used Instruments Exchange, both now removed by the Moderators. The instruments concerned in both of these listings have been reported as having been purchased by him using a credit card belonging to a third party, who has, we are told, reported the transactions as fraudulent.

We have given Cholbroo17 the chance to answer the reports about his activity, as his account was about to be deactivated. His response was “Deactivate it don’t care.”

We are taking the unusual step in posting this in the hopes, firstly that Cholbroo17 may either answer the complaints against him satisfactorily or, failing that, see the error of his ways, and secondly, in order to forewarn members about the activities reportedly carried on by this individual.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 am 

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 am 

Interesting because I was considering starting a thread about what seem to be an unusual number of people lately joining the board seemingly just to list instruments for sale.

I’m of the opinion that the items for sale should be limited to forum contributors, not simply anyone who registers, and certainly not people who’s first few posts are for sale items.

Of course I also believe that Commercial Posters who have repeatedly broken the rules, and/or have actively skirted them should be banned as well......

I absolutely do appreciate the work the mods do, even if I don’t always agree with the rules or the enforcement of same. Nice catch in this case, thanks for looking out for us :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am 

FYI on one of the tinwhistle facebook groups I'm on, there was a post back in January about a Chris Holbrook who offered to sell an Abell and never delivered to the person who paid.

It's a closed group, or I'd link to the post.

Edit: Similar post on a public group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4046819 ... 662753229/

Last edited by Wanderer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 am 
Moderatorer

Wanderer wrote:
FYI on one of the tinwhistle facebook groups I'm on, there was a post back in January about a Chris Holbrook who offered to sell an Abell and never delivered to the person who paid.

As it should happen, we're already aware of this particular affair, and have a link to the post in question. Thanks for bringing it up, though; any bit of pertinent or useful information from the membership is always appreciated.

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am 

Nanohedron wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

As it should happen, we're already aware of this particular affair, and have a link to the post in question. Thanks for bringing it up, though; any bit of pertinent or useful information from the membership is always appreciated.

I figured you did. I was mostly posting for educational purposes for the rest of the forum :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am 

I did a search of my archived email messages, and it turns out Chris contacted me in January of 2017 trying to unload some Milligan whistles.

I already had more than my fair share at that point, so I didn't take him up on his offer. Guess I dodged a bullet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:01 pm 
Moderatorer

Wanderer wrote:
I did a search of my archived email messages, and it turns out Chris contacted me in January of 2017 trying to unload some Milligan whistles.

I already had more than my fair share at that point, so I didn't take him up on his offer. Guess I dodged a bullet.

That's the thing - at this point we have no idea how much of his prior selling activity was similarly fraudulent.

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:10 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

That's the thing - at this point we have no idea how much of his prior selling activity was similarly fraudulent.

Understood. And I don't want to paint with a broad brush without knowing the facts.

I'm just glad that every exchange I've had through C&F (and they've been numerous over the years) have been very positive. I always get nervous when I hear about members or makers who start getting a little squirrelly with the money.